Everything comes full circle in the trailer for Dune Part Two

Originally published at: Everything comes full circle in the trailer for Dune Part Two | Boing Boing

3 Likes

can anything Christopher Walken be at all bad?

7 Likes

Yes!
Is he the chosen one and will he murder everyone?
We shall see soon enough!

2 Likes

I dig on him setting this up for the horror of Dune Messiah which he said he wants to make.

“I don’t care what you believe. I believe.” That’s bloody chilling.

5 Likes

What I love about this (and Part One) is that M. Villeneuve gets it. Frank Herbert was not doing the “white man is the savior leading the noble savages”, he was criticizing it, subverting it. I just re-red the novel, again, and forget the weirdness, forget the trappings. It is a story about how the protagonist has been shaped, but those shaping forgot consider what the protagonist wanted.

Much as I like David Lynch, this element was lost. How Paul was forced into a fate he wanted to avoid. Oh, he was powerful, but he could see the cruelty done in his name and it repulsed him. I kind of missed that central bit in his film. Denis makes me see it even clearer, so I feel he sees in the novel what I saw, and I love it.

9 Likes

Reins, not reigns - guiding a horse, not dominating an empire. Sorry, but this stuff drives me nuts especially from a well-informed place like boingboing.

6 Likes

Needs more @dnealy

2 Likes

An example of an eggcorn. I just watched a great video about those:

3 Likes

Not really. Eggcoms are not merely simple homonymns. Reigns/reins is.

(But a fine video. Even if he is wrong about Free Reign.)

1 Like

reign/rein isn’t a simple homonym though? The intent of usage is very close, but free reign refers to having all the power to do as one likes while free rein is about being left to do as one likes, no implications of power.

3 Likes

Reign is a simple homonym for the word rein in both usages you put forward. It’s all about being free of any reins that might restrict you - rein you in. Being given free rein is simply not having ay reins - or anyone holding any reins. (Being free TO reign is something entirely different.)

3 Likes
5 Likes

Yeah… most of humanity are not grammar bots, so mistakes will happen, especially when you don’t have an editor to look out for such things.

And @anothernewbbaccount notes, if you see a problem like that, if you alert someone (like @dnealy or @orenwolf) then someone can likely fix the problem. It’s not particularly helpful to treat it like a moral failing of some kind. No one writes perfectly, which is why editors exist.

6 Likes

Homophone? Augh, you drew me in

3 Likes

I wish I could use that as an excuse. Lol

I was probably thinking about Roman Reigns the wrestler and overlooked it during my edits. Such is life.

3 Likes

We all make mistakes!

I just really don’t get how some people get so spun up about it. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Having worked my way back through the Dune novels very, very recently, I would say the David Lynch Dune isn’t only not a good movie, but also not very faithful. I get people enjoying it and all that, and people are free to love what they love, but let’s be honest, the changes Lynch made pretty much are not compatible with the books that actually existed at the time.

2 Likes

I get it.

Boingboing means a lot to a lot of people, myself included. We all want this site to be the best it can be.

I kick myself more than anyone when I let stuff like that slip through my fingers.

2 Likes

Neither the studio nor the producer were particularly interested in a novel accurate film at the time, and there’s good reason why Lynch almost completely retreated into his own twisted imagination following Dune’s release. Everyone who wrote scripts going into the 80’s film either wrote two movies or scripts that were beyond the 2 hour target. And they were repeatedly rejected. Even after Lynch was done, he had to excise content and shoot new scenes that simplified things.

Why was length such a concern? Lynch says he was told that shorter films have more showings in a day, so more money can be made.

Under those conditions with such an ambitious project, there was no possible way a universally revered film would come out of it. There are people who like it. I honestly still haven’t been able to finish it.

3 Likes

Yet it should be noted that “free reign”/“free rein” is listed on wikipedia about eggcorns. That is, these linguistic subtleties are quite subject to individual interpretation and various local usages.

By the bye, as referenced by @Amstrad i think Rob Words is a delightfully informative youtube series.

3 Likes