Exploring the connection between Voter ID laws and structural racism

Well, yeah. Because they’re talking about the reality of the situation. They don’t have to have “special insight” in order to do that.

On the other hand, people who want to talk about making large changes to address an entirely hypothetical possibility of a significant amount of voter fraud are generally expected to have at least something to back themselves up beyond making the entirely unsupported assumption that people would do it if they thought they could do it, and adding the further unsupported assumption that voter ID laws would have any impact on any method of voter fraud that was able to significantly impact on elections.

11 Likes

National holiday. Too many people work in low paying service industry jobs that don’t close on the weekend. Besides, let’s celebrate that we get to vote. I want fireworks bigger than the Fourth of July on Election Day!

16 Likes

But nobody here has done that. Instead, you are the one repeating variants of the phrase “voter fraud is an issue” while everyone else is providing you with overwhelming evidence from many difference sources that your concern is entirely unwarranted.

It’s time to either declare that the reason you can’t get off your one-note ‘concern’ is because you want to believe the lies, or else read some of the evidence you’ve been provided and educate yourself.

12 Likes

That’s incorrect. That’s basically what the Voter ID law replaced, though your specific list isn’t exactly correct. The strict ID law permitted only these: a state driver’s license or ID card, a concealed handgun license, a U.S. passport, a military ID card, or a U.S citizenship certificate with a photo.

8 Likes

That is gonna discriminate against those who eat christmas pie for breakfast…

7 Likes

I never liked that Horner guy’s politics, anyways.

8 Likes

There are existing methods.

What about them, in your non-statistically-backed-up-opinion, makes them unreasonable?

7 Likes

Eating Christmas Pie in November?

Another victim of Holiday Season Creep,

10 Likes

(ETA: You said pretty much everything that I went on to write, except I didn’t finish reading the entire post)
I’d suggest (but don’t know for certain) that those with lower-incomes are more likely to change addresses more frequently than those with middle- or high-incomes. So on top of all the PITAs that come with moving, one has to make a trip to the DMV to obtain an ID card with the new address. Most certainly, there’s a fee involved with this – an indirect poll tax, if you will, if ID is required for voting.

I could say with more certainty that this would broadly affect college students who don’t live with their families.

11 Likes

That illustration makes it look like Jack Horner just killed Pac-Man and plucked out his eyeball.

8 Likes

Thereby disenfranchising amputees. Or, if you do allow amputees to vote, then you’re clearly encouraging voters to commit fraud en masse by undergoing amputation after voting so that they can vote twice, just like those old-timey guys who used to grow beards prior to the elections so they could vote, shave, and vote again.

3 Likes

Sad to say, but given Afghanistan’s history of punitive measures under the Taliban I’m sure they’ve had to figure out workarounds for voters who were missing hands.

4 Likes

Yeah, in order to actually swing an election at the polls via voter fraud would be to have busloads of people going around to every polling place all day. You couldn’t even have people voting twice at the same place because there would be too great a chance of being recognized. Ultimately for the fraud to have any measurable effect there would have to be a lot of people involved, and the more people involved the greater the probability it would get revealed.

9 Likes

And in addition to transportation to different voting locations, they would need to spend the time needed to go through the line. Which will usually take at least some time for each person, and which tends to take longer in poor areas…

5 Likes

Agh! Cannot UnSee!

7 Likes

This is something I find amusing about the topic- this argument for fraud not being a problem is basically the same argument for not voting. A few votes here and there don’t affect the results, so why does suddenly EVERY VOTE MATTERS just because the topic is voter turnout instead of voter fraud.

a gut feeling often attributed to racism, but a gut feeling none-the-less.

7 Likes

I get into the exact same discussion with people who claim that underpants gnomes are a significant problem.
They got me, though – I’m still trying to figure out a way to prove that they don’t exist.

6 Likes

Ah, but can you prove that it is not happening? Sounds like you might even have experience in organizing such activities, comrade.

3 Likes

Then how about this? How about we not prove a negative, you prove the positive, and then we can expend what turn out to be considerable resources to solve the problem for which there is ZERO evidence for at the scale people are concerned about? You want to chase magical underpants voting gnomes on your suspicion there’s a problem? Do it on your own dime.

12 Likes