Facebook makes 'Boogaloo' groups advocating US civil war harder to find, after arrest of participants plotting violence

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/05/facebook-makes-boogaloo-gr.html

5 Likes

How many cops and national guardsmen are Boogaloo sympathizers? Their groupthink needs to be aggressively rooted out.

17 Likes

Rather than ban the users and the groups they just make the groups harder to find? Good job.

34 Likes

Here’s an idea, Mark: why not make them unfindable, as in, non-existent?

25 Likes

That makes too much logical sense.

14 Likes

10 Likes

Meanwhile, a sudden rise on Blue Igloo groups.

7 Likes

You’re a fan of those coolers as well?

Sigh.

4 Likes

Oh look, they’re already there:

A Facebook group called Blue Igloo that organized carrying weapons in downtown Raleigh, NC, shows how COVID pandemic restrictions is helping fuel the boogaloo movement. Boogaloo is shorthand for a civil war among militia groups, white supremacists. By Kevin Keister

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article242657956.html#storylink=cpy

9 Likes

At least we’ve still got our shared love of blue goo.

(as an aside, I assume that there’s likely some real overlap in interest in the groups…)

4 Likes

Keep them for FBI surveillance?

1 Like

Hey, as long as Facebook has stopped recommending “boogaloo” groups this issue is done and dusted. Right? /s

Facebook is such a miserable pile of steaming feces.

3 Likes

How brave of them.

5 Likes

The GOP is the “Big Igloo” party.

Christ, I hope Zuck doesn’t go after my “Bugaloos” group.
external-content.duckduckgo.com

6 Likes

How about a concerted effort to figure out the crossover of membership of police/military/ice etc… and these facebook groups, and then dishonorably discharging/firing with prejudice all these a-holes?

Then set up a bunch of decoy groups to attract the same. Make it so racist a-holes never know if the group they’re joining is quite possibly a fake designed to lure them out.

If you’re not going to ban this sort of crap wholesale, then at least use it to root out the rot within.

2 Likes

There was a really interesting blog post on these nutty groups on bellingcat. They are really odd and I am sure capable of violence. the study of their imagery, references was realling interesting and the bleed between incel/supremacy/alt-right/racist is alarming

6 Likes

What we really need is an announcement for an “Electric Boogaloo: Breakdance 2” remake to crapflood the hashtag.

3 Likes

That was a fascinating article and I just read the whole thing. But the title is a bit misleading because the text showed the boogaloo movement is exactly what I thought it was.

Stuff like that should be required reading for every journalist. The inside knowledge from Bellingcat’s embedded investigators really cuts through the layers of irony and symbolism these kinds of groups use to confuse journalists and law enforcement.

2 Likes

That was an insane read. Thanks for posting. That movement seems to be a textbook example of online incestuous amplification.

2 Likes

Steaming piles of feces indicate effective digestive processes and are useful as organic fertilizer. To compare Facebook to feces is unfair to feces everywhere. Toxic waste, maybe?

4 Likes