"Fact checkers" attacked a 10-year-old rape victim's abortion story, and the rest is conservative history

There’s not one of them that wouldn’t be turning over every rock, looking for this guy and they would have charged him,"

It boggles the mind. WHO SAID NO ONE WAS LOOKING FOR THE RAPIST???

If someone assault someone, you have to tend to their wounds, set bones, stitch cuts etc. You have to take care of the victim first. Meanwhile, the police can be investigating the crime. It isn’t an either/or thing! It never its!

Ridiculous.

4 Likes

Still bears repeating. Put another way, sufficient but not necessary.

In many ways they’re one and the same. I think that most people have just enough sense that their rigid stance may not be 100% representative of the full picture that projection becomes a bit of a fig leaf. Of course, that’s me looking for the best in everyone even at their worst, but I’m quickly running out of that brand of empathy.

2 Likes

There’s a major difference between amplifying someone’s valid point, piggybacking on it, and talking down to someone.

I don’t feel like your reply was actually supportive of my point, even if that’s how you meant it.

I also think it’s pretty fucked up that I used the words ‘poor’ and ‘poverty,’ and your comment rather implies that you think I was only talking about Black people being poor… when in fact a significant portion of the people living below the US poverty line happen to be White, as well as Latino and Asian.

I think you were trying to be clever, and your attempt failed.

I’m moving on now; good day.

8 Likes

I think this is absolutely true.

Just had a friend post an anti-Confederate flag meme and someone replied to the effect of “If you hate the haters, doesn’t that make you a hater?”

I guess it never occurred to them one can condemn something with out hating it.

6 Likes

I hope you replied with this…

Oh, I fucking hate it. Just like I hate the nazi flag and other signs of hate. I hate hate, and I am proud of that fact. We really should not get bogged down in such BS arguments that make no sense when held to any light. There is plenty of reason to hate symbols of enslavement and genocide, the primary reason being that both are incredibly inhumane acts that defy common human morality.

13 Likes

Obligs

17 Likes

I said one could condemn a person’s views with out hating a person. I don’t disagree with your point, but I wanted to completely refute the binary thinking of their point. The meme was a bit terse, but didn’t imply hating anyone at all. Only that the Confederate flag was a shit symbol of heritage. They had a lot of projection in their post thinking it was promoting hate. Like in my reply to cannibapeas, I think they are full of fear and hate, and assume everyone is like that.

I encouraged people in general to take a page from Dolly Parton’s book, who stopped using the imagery at her theme park, even after decades of use.

1 Like

Love that infographic. It’s way easier to get the point of that paradox with it than reading through the wiki page, which was posted here on BB recently. Although, the wiki’s not that hard to grasp either, just like the concept itself.

I just have to express how my heart breaks for this child.

4 Likes

This seems like the type of situation Gwen Cooper was thinking of in Children of Earth: Day Five

There’s one thing I always meant to ask Jack. Back in the old days. I wanted to know about that Doctor of his. The man who appears out of nowhere and saves the world. Except sometimes he doesn’t. All those times in history when there was no sign of him, I wanted to know why not. But I don’t need to ask any more. I know the answer now. Sometimes the Doctor must look at this planet and turn away in shame. I’m recording this in case anyone ever finds it, so you can see… you can see how the world ended.

2 Likes

Sadly people mostly want to adopt babies, but will make exceptions for older kids so long as they are crisis orphans, such as the surge in Romanian orphans in the late '80’s, former-yugoslavian in the early '90’s, or ukrainian orphans currently.

2 Likes

FTFY.

Conditions and terms may apply.

10 Likes

Well, cis-het is probably not a thing in babies. If it ever were to be detectable, I will lay odds there will rapidly be exceptions to abortion bans put in place. I only wish I were kidding.

12 Likes

I don’t know… I feel pretty hateful towards people who want to round up all the POC, loud-mouthed women, POC, non-Evangelicals and throw them into camps. There seem to be a lot of those scum-suckers as of late. I see no reason to defend symbols of hate, and see no reason to give any quarter to those that do at this point.

David Tennant Waiting GIF by Doctor Who

Cause they consider those people white now… except the Muslims, of course… but you can force the children to be Christians, so win-win! /s :frowning_face:

12 Likes

Yeah I don’t remember a surge in adoptions of Somali or Iraqi kids

7 Likes

As Amanda Marcotte pointed out, Republicans basically only care about imaginary crimes against children:

As someone said about those pictures of conservative couples with the “We will adopt your baby” signs: it’s intended not a promise, it’s a threat.

It was a disingenuous excuse to deny the story - “Hey, no one was arrested, so it’s not true, right?!” - knowing full well that 95% of rapes don’t end up with anyone arrested. They were playing the odds.

I mean, what the fuck is a “hater,” really? (I absolutely hate that term, especially in current usage.) It’s a word used for its decontextualizing effect, creating meaningless equivalencies where hating one thing is equivalent to hating anything else - if you hate murder, does that make you the same as a bigot? It’s totally absurd.

9 Likes

The impoverished are a great source for military recruitment. (Hey, guess how I know this! Go on, take a wild ass guess! I mean a perfectly valid and correct response would be ‘observation,’ but there’s a far more direct reason!)

8 Likes

Oh, I’m hip, doc; just felt the need to throw in an acknowledgement of my LGBTQ+ folks, because the fundie fascists don’t want them, either; and they are in just as much peril as BIPOC folks, if not even more.

Like yourself, I know all too well.

*sighs

11 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Although I will say, sometimes these Christo-fascists WILL adopt children of color (see, for example Justice Barrett, who has two children adopted from Haiti), but then they usually treat them differently than any white children they have. It’s the same indoctrination, but in order to inculcate a sense of racial inferiority in their children of color.

10 Likes