Facts I didn't know about oatmeal

This is the 80th post about oatmeal.

Truly, a place of wonderful things!

9 Likes

3 Likes

Red River is the porridge of the gods.

3 Likes

The ready brek advert made me remember that skit, too XD

My grandma was German on both sides of her family, and salted her giant shredded wheat whenever she had it for breakfast. I liked it, but it horrified my mother.

Cold couscous (as in the previous night’s refriged leftovers) w/yr favorite oatmeal additions is a lovely breakfast.

We get tubs of it at the grocery; it cooks just like minute rice. Equal parts water & couscous, boil the water w/optional salt & butter (or olive oil), dump in the couscous and stir well, turn off the heat, cover the pot, let it sit 5mins. I often add herbs & spices - garlicky couscous is V nice, tho maybe not for breakfast.

6 Likes

Porridge doesn’t always have to be made with oats- is couscous a kind of porridge? Kasha and polenta are also great alternatives for a savoury breakfast.

3 Likes

Couscous is a North African and Middle Eastern dish. It’s normally tiny pieces of semolina, essentially grains of pasta, altho much larger ‘pearl’ varieties are available. The kind I described absorbs all the water or broth. It is frequently used as a starchy bed for meat and/or veg and sauce.

Moroccan couscous

Palestinian couscous

Wikipedja sayeth:
Couscous is a North African dish of small steamed granules of rolled durum wheat semolina that is traditionally served with a stew spooned on top. Pearl millet, sorghum, Bulgur and other cereals can be cooked in a similar way in other regions and the resulting dishes are also sometimes called couscous.

Couscous is a staple food throughout the Maghrebi cuisines of Algeria, Tunisia, Mauritania, Morocco, and Libya. It is also widely consumed in France, where it was introduced by Maghreb immigrants. …

11 Likes

?

Same here. When we were kids, whenever we had oatmeal for breakfast my father would declare in a hearty voice “That’ll stick to your ribs!” But, like you, I’ve always found that it just doesn’t stay with me long.

As an adult, for breakfast I like to cook one serving of rolled oats in the microwave, then crack an egg over it, sprinkle it with salt and pepper, put the bowl back in the microwave until the egg is cooked, and then sprinkle it with grated parmesan cheese. Yummy savory breakfast, and stays with me longer.

6 Likes

The marketing team said “Cheeritoroids” didn’t test well.

2 Likes

$HERSELF introduced me to oats with butter and salt (the Scots side of her French/Scots/Blackfoot heritage) but I’m short on potassium so I use KCl (“No Salt”) instead of NaCl. Tastes a bit different but you can get used to it; I’m actually short enough to crave it.

3 Likes

When I was a kid, my folks bought the Laughing Cow (“La Vache Qui Rit”) brand cheese, creamy cheese in circular packages, divided into individually wrapped wedges. I remember feeling dismayed on realizing that their “Reduced Calorie” cheese was the same product but divided into eight wedges instead of six. (Or maybe it was ten instead of eight, I can’t recall.) But we tested them, and they seemed identical in every other way: “Reduced Calorie Cheese” was in fact “Reduced Cheese Cheese.”

As Hemingway said, “Ask not at whom the cow laughs.”
LaughingCowSwissOriginal6oz_large

10 Likes

Oh sure, take the easy alternative to starting a land grant University on the coupons with your oatmeal box and just eat the oatmeal.

Savory…

Yeah I’ll take extra general in my General Mills kthx. That way it works with all overnight chia ingredients.

I’ll have grits, thanks.

Beats sawdust, but wow.

7 Likes

This will be heresy to the true porage makers but, far from the constant stirring over a low heat, I add boiling water to my oats late at night, very vigorously stir the hell out of them with a fork, grinding against the bottom of the bowl, for a few minutes (a small but good work-out before bed) cover and leave overnight. 3-4 mins in the microwave the next morning and instant porage for breakfast. I also add fruit (gooseberries, currants, raspberries, etc.) from the freezer and the stirring breaks the fruit up and releases the juices into the porage.
Yum!

3 Likes

You should see the face my toddler grandchild pulls when sucking a lemon.

2 Likes

In areas south of Knoxville, TN, “oatmeal” is sometimes used as a synonym for heroin. One or more backslid Quakers, remnants of a settlement at Friendsville, were selling the stuff sometime in the past and possibly even now. Many people in the area who otherwise buy only brand-name goods will not purchase Quaker products.

No. 2

1 Like

Hey, my Polish grandma called oatmeal kasha. I looked it up, it seems in some nationalities kasha is a general term for cooked grains or oats.

Thanks for the jog to the old memory, hadn’t heard that word in years.

5 Likes

Oh! I suppose I should have known/guessed that :laughing: (Thanks for the video—cute!)

My internet search came up with “chouchou”, a term of endearment, and “chou chou” a smelly pillow or toy that a child cuddles with in bed, and I imagined that “shoo-shooing” might mean climbing back in bed for a bit to cuddle with one’s partner :laughing:

Okay, to get back on topic, I’ll just say that oatmeal is, of course, great for helping with regular you-know-what!

2 Likes

Another international porridge:

I’d all but forgotten about it – now we have gluten-liberationist concerns in the house. We used to cut it with multigrain baking mix (like Bisquik, but from Trader Joe’s)

2 Likes

i dislike sweets in general. i never put sugar in my coffee or tea. i like my oatmeal with butter and salt. no one taught me that. i just did it once and liked it. ha. my last name is campbell and i guess that probably means ive got some scottish blood in me. maybe we have a (possibly unhealthy) thing with salt.

2 Likes