Facts I didn't know about oatmeal

_R22cYhYExV2P3nGXCfbwOKPtOk=

Thus is the only reason I know who Gordie Howe is.

3 Likes

That wasn’t the point of the experiment. The idea was to use radioactive tracers to see how oatmeal is metabolized, not that they thought radioactivity was inherently good as in early 20th century radium toothpaste and the like. It actually made scientific sense, except for the huge ethical problem of using human test subjects that couldn’t give informed consent.

4 Likes

The instant pot has changed the game on McCann’s for me; I’ve gotten the texture you describe (which is delightful) in a third of the time on the stovetop. You have to add salt after the fact to have it cook right, but that’s hardly a barrier.

3 Likes

I think we can all agree that properly prepared oatmeal and grits are superior to that abomination, cream of wheat.

4 Likes

I would now, but as a kid, I liked the lumps in Cream of Wheat. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Yes! Totally forgot about that stuff. I think we used it a time or two in elementary school for an art project. Or was it Elmer’s Paste? Hard to tell the difference.

2 Likes

Likewise for Red River, Cream Of Wheat, and other warm seed/grain-based breakfast foods. I love all of them and we always have a different one on a Sunday morning. We stock ‘em all!

Edit: I see we don’t agree on Cream Of Wheat. :joy: That’s okay, I love it anyway. Especially with lumps. :grin:

7 Likes

Nice to know you have developed a more discriminating palette. But yeah, kids, ya know?

2 Likes

Excellent! I have always viewed the Simpsons as kind of a public service.

2 Likes

I probably should have ended my post with a wink emoji – I’m (sort of) kidding about CoW. Two or three times in our marriage, my wife has bought a box, made a pot of it … then about 5 years later we throw out the expired box when no one has made a second pot.

And I agree, as you and milliefink have pointed out, the lumps are the best part!

3 Likes

Yeah, though our tastes also physically change, right?

As a kid, I couldn’t understand why adults like olives. They tasted like, a furniture cleaning product. Bleh!!

Now though, I love olives.

8 Likes

There’s interesting research to suggest kids can basically only taste sugar. In addition to their tongues being physically biased towards that, their smell networks in their brains haven’t experienced enough things yet to distinguish a lot of flavors. This development apparently happens in the teen years.

This sort of thing is hard to study though, because we’re talking about self-reported subjective data from children. So take it with…ahem…a grain of salt.

7 Likes

What I realize as an adult is that Cream of Wheat (especially if you stir in some butter before eating) is basically a wheat version of polenta. Very similar texture, and the ability to flavor it or not as one wishes.

6 Likes

For me, it was pizza. Go figure.

3 Likes

Yeah, for a kid, that is indeed . . . unusual. :grin:

Food Pizza GIF

3 Likes

Obligatory:

5 Likes

I appreciate that they have edited the headline to concede that facts about oatmeal are not always fun.

A gritty business, this oatmeal.

3 Likes

Pastels rather than primary colours all the time…

Need more experiments with radioactive tracers.

1 Like

9 Likes

Worked for Spider-man., besides, what could go wrong?