Fall Holidays 2023!

Related:

3 Likes

StoveTop can be doctored up.

Bell’s Poultry Seasoning
Applegate Savory Turkey Sausage
Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter

And I’m good to go!

And it’s Dutch Apple Pie for me instead of pumpkin.

4 Likes

Stay safe!

kJLIBO

3 Likes

If one wants a deep fried turkey that is really one the things best left to professionals.

7 Likes

Almost Veterans Day - for all those camo buying dudes who never served.

3 Likes

Diwali! The fireworks are cracking off something fierce tonight and the neighborhood looks like an early Christmas!

6 Likes

Just scroll down to the pictures.

6 Likes

I do like the Iron Maiden “Eddie” mask

2 Likes

Fort Hunt Park, Alexandria, Virginia.

8 Likes

Alton Brown covered this back in the day

5 Likes

Volume of a Turkey

https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/KurtHeckman/Volume+of+a+Turkey

The Volume of a Turkey calculator approximates the volume of a turkey based on its weight and the mean density of poultry. 1)

Other Fry a Turkey Calculators:

• How big of a turkey do we need?
  • Time to Deep Fry a Turkey
  • Time to Thaw a Frozen Turkey
  • Oil Displaced by a Turkey
  • Volume of a Bird Fryer
  • Volume of a Rectangular Fryer
  • Volume of a Circular Fryer
  • Oil needed for Turkey Fryer
  • Convert Kitchen Units

1) Arguably the one calculation where “assume X is spherical” really is close enough to the real thing.

7 Likes

Not on your list but should be:

-Is homeowner’s insurance paid up?
-Medical insurance paid?
-Life insurance?
-Are you an idiot?

Basically, Do Not Do This. Do Not Try This At Home. Or Anywhere Else. Just NO.

9 Likes

I remember a year where the local firefighters offered to fry anyone’s turkey. Just register, bring a thawed turkey, and they’d do it at the station.
Included a plea to not do it at home so the firefighters could spend Thanksgiving without any oil fires to put out

10 Likes
5 Likes

I’ve successfully fried several turkeys over the years. I always did it far enough from the house that it became a cold and lonely chore. You can’t walk away from it, and no one wants to leave the warmth of the living room and the Storage Wars marathon to sit out in the cold to commiserate near a boiling cauldron of oil.

The turkey does taste pretty good after it, though.

8 Likes

It’s easier- if you want to:

“ To determine the correct amount of oil, place the turkey in the pot before adding seasoning and add water until turkey is covered. Take turkey out of the water before marking the oil level . Measure the amount of water and use a corresponding amount of oil. Dry the pot thoroughly of all water”

Never tried it, myself.

6 Likes

We deep fried once with borrowed equipment outdoors. In addition to all the previously mentioned safety items, make sure the bird is completely thawed and pat it dry.

Deep fried is great, but we prefer it smoked slowly over charcoal and Applewood.

5 Likes

How is fiddling around with a (possible frozen) turkey, mittens/gloves, measuring jugs, water, dishcloths, and God knows what else - hair dryer? heat gun? - easier than doing a bit of quick math in your head?

2 Likes

autumn-leaves

7 Likes
4 Likes