Fall Holidays 2024!

14 Likes

Reminds me of the time i went trick or treating about 10yrs ago with my younger brother (he was in his 20s, i was in my early 30s). We were both dressed up along with a friend of his, a goodly number of people would ask us if we were too old to be trick or treating, to which we enthusiastically would reply NO.

14 Likes

One Howloween, I got all dolled up - fancy AF black Victorian dress, pretty makeup - and sat smiling on the decorated porch with the giant bowl of Howloween candy. I did this b/c no trick or treaters had rung our doorbell for at least two years.

Not a single kid approached. Everyone just glanced at me and went past. They went up to the next door neighbors,’ but not here.

After a while, I started eating some candy. Fuck 'em. They didn’t want it, and I did. Then an old friend who lived round the corner came walking along. I ran out to say hi, and over his objections, I dumped the entire contents of the bowl into the big bag of Halloween candy he already had. He insisted he already had too much, but I said he deserves even more.

I told mom what had happened re: the trick or treaters, and she said something along the lines of, “Fuck 'em.”

We kept decorating for Halloween, but after at least three years in a row like I described, we quit buying candy for all those trick or treaters who didn’t come to our door.

11 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes

Maybe I’ll get my family to watch this again this halloween season… We’re half way through Skull-face Bookseller Honda-San…

4 Likes

12 Likes

Fx Networks Yes GIF by What We Do in the Shadows

8 Likes

14 Likes

I posted this on the Jokes thread too, also

6 Likes

Also in the Noms thread

forlorn-candy-corn

OOH! Candy Corn!

11 Likes

Oh Captain! My Captain!

4 Likes

He Made Me a Punk! [Page Six Shocker!]

He did Hothead and Ashtray Heart on Saturday Night Live in the Autumn of 1980, and mom and I were watching. Doc At the Radar Station is a very weird and atonal album, and 14-yr-old me didn’t quite know what to make of this seemingly shambolic Magic Band, but mom came thru. [Or most likely, her higher self, esp since she didn’t remember it at all.]

“Remember when we’d go to the Art Institute, and we’d look at the Rembrandts, and talk about them?” OFingC I did. “…and then we’d look at the Picassos, and talk about those?” Ditto. “You might also remember I explained that one isn’t necessarily better than the other, that it’s just a different way of seeing things.” [Thinking of it now, that sounds much more like something I’d say, so it must have been her higher self tophat-biggrin ]

“Most music is harmonic. This is dissonant. It’s just a different way of looking at things.” We listened to the rest of the song, then talked about modern classical music and weird jazz.

I bought a copy of Doc as soon as I could afford it; probably within a month or two.

A coupla months later, I had my first Iggy LP.

7 Likes
6 Likes

10 Likes

I just saw (juice, non-alcoholic) apple cider flavored with pumpkin spice blend at Costco’s, FWIW.

10 Likes
6 Likes

14 Likes

I have The Ride of the Rohirrim playing through my mind at the sight of it!

8 Likes

So they’re claiming Satan’s children were conceived in wedlock? That more than a lot of right-wing evangelicals can say.

9 Likes