False vent perfect for hiding guns where small children will spot them

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/03/false-vent-perfect-for-hiding.html

5 Likes

It really should have some sort of locking mechanism. This is an unsafe gun safe. It’s not too difficult to make an inconspicuous keyslot on the side. Or even disguise the keyslot as one of those levers you pull to adjust the vent.

11 Likes

So…no locking mechanism, no fire protection, and accessible to toddlers by design.

I can’t see any downside to this product.

27 Likes

How else are little kids going to protect the house from invaders?

We can’t all be Macauley Culkin

/s

14 Likes

Well it definitely would have made that movie shorter, wouldn’t it? And a bit grimmer. Just a bit.

14 Likes

If it isn’t locked, then it isn’t a safe, it is a hiding spot.

“OK” if you live alone and never have kids over. Otherwise this is little more than putting a gun up in a closet or in the back of a desk drawer.

Don’t buy gimmicky BS off of Amazon if you wish to secure your firearms.

Alternatively… you could put your weed in it.

9 Likes

Also non-human kids…

25 Likes

But a better movie. I am picturing little Kevin trying to hide the bodies and dealing with neighbor/police attention.

6 Likes

Does that look like the air vents anyone actually has?

I’m not an expert on that obscure niche of contemporary material culture or anything; but I have been in quite a few buildings in my time, and seen pictures of many more; and it just looks off.

I can’t put my finger on exactly what’s wrong; but I think it’s the use of unpainted fasteners with painted stamped metal plate. I’d normally expect to see either the fasteners painted the same color as the plate(as seems to be typical for light switch and outlet covers) or unpainted fasteners with brushed metal.

7 Likes

If cats had opposable thumbs…

4 Likes

Great. The 20 intrinsic switchblades and mouthful of spikes are not enough, now we give them firearms? What the hell, it’s not like they would make it worse…

15 Likes

It seems to be designed to appeal to those who desire to re-enact TV dramas where the good guy with a gun gets home-invaded and heroically pulls weapons out of all sorts of gimmicky household secret stashes to blow away the intruders. Or at least to show off to their friends that that’s what they could be like if such a thing ever happened.

3 Likes

And of course that gun got him out of the first problem so why not the successive ones? No one’s going to suspect that the kid is the perp, so the kills come easy, and when he runs low on ammo there’s plenty to be salvaged from the corpses of the responding officers. The family comes home to a scene of surreal-yet-Christmas-y horror, bodies wrapped in festive paper with carefully tied bows, eggnog bowl brimming with blood, the tree festooned with severed heads… my GOD what a movie!

9 Likes

This is terrible. BUT - it does remind me of an idea I had. If you had sensitive data that you didn’t want easily found by a police search, these days it would be super easy to just wall up a wireless NAS. If you ran a socket inside the wall and had an assistant switch you’d be in business. When the police burst in, you could just use your custom command “Alexa - fuck the police”. And turn off the drive and make it REALLY hard to find.

6 Likes

If you want to hide stuff a Micro-SD card is tiny, holds a crapton of data, and can be stashed almost anywhere. They are small enough that the list of places you could hide them in a typical house is basically “the entire house”.

4 Likes

How much do you need to get your screenplay produced?

3 Likes

“Don’t anybody move! I lost a terabyte in the carpet! Help me find it!”

9 Likes

I’m willing to bet somebody with 25k in lost Bitcoin numbers really has shouted this at some point.

6 Likes

This is a great idea. I have never ever seen any movies or TV shows where people hid stuff in an air vent and someone found it.

6 Likes

Favorite idea I have seen, drill a hole into the top of a door, and insert a metal clinder that sits flush. You could even put a false wood slug on top and sand to make it hard to detect being felt for. Then use a magnet to pull container out. Perfect for your bit coin wallet.

3 Likes