Family puts Ring camera in children's room, discovers that hacker is watching their kids 24/7, taunting them through the speaker

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/12/zat-you-santa-claus.html

4 Likes

25 Likes

Not a solution for everyone, I admit.

6 Likes

First of all, screw these parents. Your kids are in a bedroom in your own house, what ever are you so worried about?!

Yeah, see, what’s so hard about that!

22 Likes

We have met the cylons and they are us.

9 Likes

A honeypot that looks like a Ring camera could be fun.

4 Likes

Maybe Ring should include something like Yubikey by default.

1 Like

Yeah, that would work, except that the the people making the ring don’t care

These are easy engineering problems to solve, but do require a non-zero amount of time and thought.
Until IOT vendors are compelled by law this will continue and get worse.

6 Likes

What in the name of all that is holy is wrong with people? How can it be possible for someone to think it is a good use of time to hack into the camera of a childrens’ bedroom? And why it is not legal to eliminate such defective scum?

8 Likes

On Ring to rule them all.

5 Likes

Its called IOS. Internet Of Shit devices.

Of all the things you can do technologically, you would think the basic intelligence would tell someone don’t put a network camera connected to the internet in your child’s bedroom.

That’s like leaving an open container of gasoline next to a bonfire a few feet away. Yeah sure nothing might happen or you may have conflagration because someone is a fucking negligent idiot.

I’ll stop being surprised at people’s stupidity when people stop putting networked listening devices with cameras in their house.

Also who puts a camera in their child’s bedroom? I understand for a baby, but normal kids? This is just getting them used to the idea that someone is always going to be watching them, to hell with that. In this case they have taught their kids a valuable lesson about the internet- its full of creeps.

15 Likes

8 Likes

I almost think the parents are criminally negligent here. Seriously super creepy. I mean baby monitors are one thing. But putting a camera on your 8 year old? JFC.

9 Likes

The hacking is creepy - so is watching your kids on a camera 24/7.

12 Likes

In all fairness, most baby monitors are networked and easily defeated these days. Consumers should be able to expect a reasonable effort at securing their privacy, but most just haven’t caught up to the realities of internet-era corporate fuckery. Honestly, I think that parents who let their kids sign up for social media accounts are being far more negligent.

But yeah, I would never even think of doing this.

1 Like

So it turns out that a surveillance device can be used as a surveillance device?

10 Likes

…never put networked cameras or microphones in your home, ever.

I’ll drink to that.

1 Like

I think that little kids can’t conceptualize that a little plastic box in their room is always watching them. So of course that’s why we have Elf on the Shelf

6 Likes

I think this was episode 4

1 Like