Farmers stuck with a glut of worthless avocados

7 Likes

I blame this on the industrial fascination in the 80s with Japan’s resurgence, which many MBAs attributed to just-in-time supply chains. Now we see why this isn’t a solution for every business, writ large.

12 Likes

This.

I live in So. Cal, where we do actually grow a fair number of avocados. Go to the store, and they can be $2 each. Buy a mesh bag of them from a Mexican dude on the side of the road, and it’s $5-10 a bag, making them maybe ~$0.50 ea. Same thing with citrus. $X/lb at the supermarket. Uber cheap by the bag for nice ripe ones by the side of a road or in some random parking lot.

5 Likes

Could have sold them cheap, or given them away to the homeless and poor families. But no, capitalism demands the destruction of anything which isn’t making a good profit. This is why I don’t think we’re making it out of the climate crisis. The Great Filter? Good old-fashioned sociopathic greed.

5 Likes

They are selling them for cheap. And even giving them away is not as easy as it sounds. Tell the people at a homeless encampment that there are a bunch of avocados free for the taking at a farm warehouse a couple thousand kilometers away and see how many people leap at the chance.

5 Likes

There is a bright side to this. Avos don’t ripen on the tree. They have to be picked and ripened, so there’s a lot of leeway. So, the stuff that’s already been picked is a loss, but at least there’s some give in the lead time on production capacity at the grower level that might help balance this off a little.

6 Likes

Hahaha! I did that delivering a boat with a bunch of avocados hanging in a net bag. The motion of the waves made the bag spin around, just kissing a cabinet. On arrival, avocado everywhere!

3 Likes

Agricultural goods are largely excluded from our free trade agreement. So yeah but nah.

1 Like

Exactimo. I’m still paying $2. It’s not funny.
Had an avocado smoothy in Vietnam - way too rich. I couldn’t finish it.

Please put that (also) someplace it can be retweeted? Asking for a friend who can only take 1000 failures at making avocado mayo before hitting it out of the well, cafe.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Sometimes, the size of the fruit matters.

But they probably aren’t very local, so I get gouged.

I reckon my last one was a size 60. It was a sexy beast in the shop and sat in my fridge a couple of days until I thought it time to use it. Then, forgetting to even check or remove the stub in the end I cut into a rock hard avocado. I hate that. Avocadolotto.
Somebody will do the world a favor when they invent a phone app that identifies ripe ready-to-eat avocados.

4 Likes

I just discovered there is such a thing as Avocado Vinegar. There’s none of that on the market in Australia.

2 Likes