Fascism and fajitas have the same etymological roots

I thought that there was a similarity too:

Cunning linguists welcome.
Feces.

All words have the same etymological roots if you go back far enough.
And it’s either uuurrgghh or aaarrrggggh.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Maybe you say it with an English J? It’s not a proper loanword unless the pronunciation is butchered.

6 Likes

Perhaps the American Spanish “fajita” has a broader meaning such as “the little strips that meat is cut into while prepping a meal”-- while the English “fajita” refers only to one specific finished dish.

2 Likes

Oh lord, please no. Living in California made my ears bleed for just this reason.

I’ve never heard it applied to anything but the dish and can’t find any broader definitions.

The fajita is already a US dish created by Spanish speakers and the word hasn’t been anglicized (or I’ve been insulated enough that I’ve never heard @the_borderer’s pronunciation), so its very weird to make the leap to it being an “English” word.

2 Likes

I was joking about the English attitude of not bothering to learn how to pronounce any foreign word properly.

6 Likes

In the US it seems that the more native Spanish speakers there are in a region, the more the white folk will go out of their way to mispronounce Spanish names and words. The further west you go, the worse it seems to get.

5 Likes

So, eating fajitas=FREEDOM!

Got it bassackwards.

2 Likes

Architectural punistry. I like it.

I’m a bit reminded of Dave Barry’s insightful etymology of “eggnog” – “The first syllable ‘egg’, comes from the English word ‘egg’, meaning ‘egg’. I don’t know where ‘nog’ comes from.”

4 Likes

Etymologists can’t agree.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.