Fascism and fajitas have the same etymological roots

Originally published at: Fascism and fajitas have the same etymological roots | Boing Boing

4 Likes

11 Likes

“Shit” and “science” also share the same proto-Indo-European root meaning “to cut or split.”

11 Likes

Yummy, yummy fascism. :innocent: :rofl:

3 Likes

There are Fasces above the doors in the Oval Office

14 Likes

I always knew that facists liked fajitas and democrats liked burritos (from Mexican Spanish “little donkey”). Thanks Etymology!

6 Likes

For the love of God, will people STOP trying to mix food into identity politics? We’re not morlocks and eloi … yet. Don’t speed it up.

And for what it’s worth, I make burritos from fajitas.

1 Like

As does another foodstuff.

2 Likes

Once you know what they are, they are everywhere.

3 Likes

During WWII Italian aircraft displayed a roundel featuring three Fasci.

Also, Italian aircraft of the period had 1 forward gear and 4 reverse gears…

5 Likes

Anarchist!

7 Likes

“So there you have it, folks: fajitas are fascism.”
sorry this is not even close!

1 Like

Morlock food is pretty good, but it varies from person to person.

10 Likes

I know anarchists would turn fascists into burritos, but usually there are intermediate steps so you don’t actually eat them.

4 Likes

Just beneath the surface, we’re all fascia-ists

6 Likes

That’s not the ‘power over life and limb’ one (with the axe poking out), that’s the ‘strength when we stick together’ one.

5 Likes

See also:

The letter F is commonly used in mathematics for “sheaf”, due to its introduction by French mathematicians (faisceau). Whereas lowercase f is commonly used for “conductor”, due to its introduction by German mathematicians (Führer).

7 Likes

You missed the real shocker here
Fascist and Faggot have the same root word.
Now there’s a story!

3 Likes

I didn’t realize the rods in the classical fasces represented physical punishment. I always thought they, as in the US capitol decoration, symbolized strength through unity. That would have made sense to Mussolini since he bragged about unifying a chaotic Italy into one hotsy-dandy country. However the punishment angle, not to mention the axe, would have appealed to Benito as well. I wonder whether he was aware of the symbol’s backstory or if he adopted it just because it looked cool and it meant whatever he said it meant (very Trumpian, that lad).

3 Likes

Check to see if Jefferson Davis had anything to do with them.

2 Likes