FBI describes 'Proud Boys' as 'extremist group with ties to white nationalism' in law enforcement document

more like the national weather service acknowledging human caused climate change.

to fight something you have to name it properly first.

4 Likes

Trying to find the humor in a blatantly circular definition. “FBI describes terrorist group as terrorist group.” Gallows humor, but the ridiculousness of the headline calls for it.

6 Likes

It’s actually quite contradictory to what Vice, especially in broadcast television form, has become. You would not tend to get this sense watching their programs – probably quite the opposite.

Vice’s website and other properties? Eeeeeh…

1 Like

Excellent point! I like vice, so I will see what I can find and if he is profiting, I’ll cease to use them. THanks!

3 Likes

We have some Proud Boys in the Canadian Forces , which … ain’t good.

8 Likes

They have a pretty big presence in Tacoma WA. There’s a Proud Boy run tattoo shop, they meet openly at Dorky’s, a retro arcade game bar, and hang flags over the overpassed with their shot messages.

6 Likes

This is really shocking information. My only exposure to Vice has been on TV. Seemed to be a hard left activist-type organization. How did it get here from there?

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I think that word was fnord always there, hiding in plain site.

5 Likes

Great. Things get brighter.

7 Likes

He left a decade ago, and may not have had a terribly active editorial role even when he was there?

How did IBM go from selling IT equipment used to track Jews and other undesirables to the Nazis, to what they are today?

Same goes for Volkswagen, again when it comes to Nazis. And Beyer. And MANY others. Even Ford was selling vehicles to the Nazis – right up to, and if memory serves even past the period, where they were our enemies. Ford was a nasty racist, after all.

Not to mention every public company that may have shares owned by nasty folks.

At the end of the day, big organizations are big, and it’s tough to assign the organization as a whole responsibility for things – good and bad – unless these were things enacted by the leadership team itself, or were allowed to happen under the leadership team.

I’m Jewish (ethnically, on my late father’s side). I drive a VW. I do a little bit of business with IBM. I sometimes watch Vice’s TV shows. shrug For me, it’s not really that bothering, or surprising, to learn that one of Vice’s founders is a raging asshole. I’ll keep watching their TV shows, once in a while.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info

3 Likes

Gavin McInnes’ latest media hives of scum and villainy have been Rebel Media in Canada, and CRTV. Lately CRTV has been running a very expensive advertising campaign on YouTube. (It’s probably targeting me though twisted reasoning like “You’ve blocked many alt-right channels, so you must be interested in alt-right advertising, yes?”)

CRTV seems to be run by Mark Levin, who lives out on those far right badlands, where it’s okay for a jew to partner with a white nationalist so long as he’s pro-Israel. I’d be interested to know who’s backing them with big money. (Probably the usual suspects on the right.)

6 Likes

I’ve vaguely wondered why I subconsciously give Vice the hairy eyeball when I’m browsing HBO for something to watch. I’ve probably heard of this connection before so maybe that’s the reason. Probably not a fair reason to avoid Vice content – maybe they do good reporting. But it’s hard to ignore.

1 Like

I think they do good work but is also kind of sensationalized to some extent. Gritty, dangerous locations, with violence, crime, drugs, etc. Nothing inherently wrong to cover but that being their main focus something about it turns me off to Vice.

2 Likes

Vice presents as liberalish, but they aren’t leftists. They’re increasingly enmeshed in the US security state; reporters embedded with the military etc.

https://wahidazal.blogspot.com/2018/01/vice-media-normalizing-us-empire-under.html

12 Likes

Gavin McInnes was talking about Darth Vader the other day, and starting to seethe.

Once upon a time, McInnes had been a co-founder of Vice, the millennial media brand that launched as a free Montreal music magazine in 1994. He was the one behind its brash voice and hipster DNA, a provocative writer and editor with a nose for raunchy street culture. But in 2008, his partners pushed him out amid so-called “creative differences.” Vice exploded into a multibillion-dollar worldwide business venerating the new global youth culture. McInnes went the other way, doggedly hacking a jagged but unrelenting path to the far-right fringes of American culture.

Now 47, with a wife and three kids in the suburbs, McInnes plays host to a subscription-based online TV talk show from a tiny studio in Manhattan’s garment district, wearing dapper suits and spraying racial and sexual-orientation epithets while beating the drum for libertarian politics, Father Knows Best gender roles, closed borders, Islamophobia and something he calls “Western chauvinism,” a dream made manifest through a fraternal order he founded last year called the Proud Boys. (He also makes videos for Canada’s Rebel Media, although word leaked this week that he would be leaving it for a bigger platform.)

5 Likes

If that’s not enough for you, then the fact that Rupert Murdoch has a $70,000,000 stake in Vice, might be.

12 Likes

Ugh. So he’s another opportunistic grifter pretending to be a harmless curmudgeon racially, and ducking behind semantics when called out on it. He’ll change tack as soon as the politics of outrage are no longer profitable; claiming he was misunderstood. I don’t know who is worse, opportunists like McInnes, or the true believers. I’m thinking the former because they rile up the latter purely for profit.

4 Likes

Um no, sheeple, water doesn’t “fall from the sky” like NASA and George Soros want you to think. The flat disc of the earth is traveling through space, and so rises up through the sky to hit the water droplets in the air. Ugh. do some research.

12 Likes

So he claims to be a libertarian, but acts like an authoritarian.

It’s pretty much what I expect from the American far right, but I would like to know where they got their newspeak dictionaries from. They preach war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength and most of them don’t even see the contradictions. I get the feeling that McInnes does know though, and is doing this deliberately in the hope that he gains power.

9 Likes