FBI gets warrant to search Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin's email

This is exactly what I predicted would happen when that Trump video surfaced; organisations like the Washington Post, even as they continue to rail against Trump with every editorial, are literally incapable of not promoting “news” that makes the election tighter again.

The fact that there’s nothing there – like, nothing – makes it much more harmful to Clinton, because there’s nothing to defend against. It’s just a bunch of headlines implying that something shocking has happened.

It’s basically a waking nightmare.

17 Likes

Maybe we can bring Bernie back.

2 Likes

Nah. Likely to be someone like Biden or Tim Kaine. But this is nothing, so the point is moot.

Seriously. What the F does Comey think he’s doing? (I question his perspective due to crypto wars / Terror Terror Terror Propaganda, but this seems really bad timing on his part.) What does he have to gain? Most of the Intel agency folks are smart enough to stay out of election politics. Here is Comey, as head of a law enforcement agency that often gets in pissing matches with the intel folks, doing what exactly?

4 Likes

God forbid the FBI have the power to search the email records of a sane adult this close to the Presidency. It might result in…politics, ZOMG!!!

1. Trump is a nutcase, and if he were to win it would damage our nation.

2. This alone is not a reason to give carte blanche to candidate Clinton, or the Democratic establishment which supports her. They have screwed us every which way from Sunday for decades. They should be very unsteady at this point, and they should remain off balance going forwards.

A good Democratic leader is one who is always slightly frightened of the American people. Our interests and Hillary Clinton’s are tangential, not parallel. So many here who insist otherwise are just very, very good soldiers in a war which does not benefit them, their children, or their peers. Or most of us, certainly. I’m sure they mean well, and they deserve our sympathy. But… not our help.
Our nominally sane Democratic “leadership” is corrupt, but more importantly, incompetent. Even the Trump freak show cannot disguise this. He should never have come this close to victory, and he has done so only because of the gross negligence and corruption of our more legitimate leadership. A resounding Hillary Clinton victory is not a “victory” for the average American. It is in the best interest of our polity that she enter the Presidency, but that she do so as weak as possible, to keep her from injuring us further. I hope her loquacious defenders here are people who will benefit personally and immediately from a Clinton victory. However, I suspect most of you are just fanboys. Which is damned sad.

Unless you all are dining (on someone elses’ tab) at the best Columbia Circle restaurants weekly… you are fools to defend her so vigorously. And you injure us all by doing so.

21 Likes

Back to the topic at hand, the fact is that the FBI has a longstanding policy against speaking publicly about ongoing investigations. Comey has deviated from that tradition several times, JUST FOR CLINTON’s EMAILS. Seriously, however you feel about the candidates or the rest of the election; no matter what side you are on, you have to call foul on that.

No one is saying that the FBI shouldn’t investigate. People are saying it is inappropriate for the FBI director to blatantly use an investigation as a political podium against one candidate.

20 Likes

Particularly when it may influence an election. I believe there’s a specific policy about publicly acknowledging it with in 90 days of an election it may effect.

3 Likes

You make it sound like she personally set up the server. She asked for the easiest way to solve the issue and her people set her up a personal server, which is something her predecessor had as well.
I don’t care about her emails, they affected no one at all and spending time and money on a wild goose chase for everything that might tangentially be related to them is a colossal waste of everyone’s time.

10 Likes

Is this happening now because of some nefarious plot, or is it just an amazing coincidence? Maybe it’s just me, but almost every piece of news about the election has made me ask this question. In the words of Futurama, “whoever’s directing this is a master of suspense.”

5 Likes

FTFY.

Your post is off topic. This thread is about the FBI making public announcements about an investigation involving a presidential candidate a week out from polling day.

That’s not in anyone’s interest except her opponent.

The practice of running private mail servers was frowned upon but common. The significance of it in this case has been blown completely out of proportion.

9 Likes

I always wondered if Anthony ever sent Huma pics of his Weiner…

2 Likes

those Weiners are Wieners–unless you are calling out cry babies, which we will all morph into, should we ever get to the end of 2016…

1 Like

More than a few of the roaming bands of outlaws patrolling the wastes of post-Trump America will be searching for Mr Coney in order to question him about this move

2 Likes

This has nothing to do with the FBI searching emails. If they feel there’s something truly important in the sexts that Anthony Weiner sent from his wife’s computer, it makes sense for them to investigate it, whether it’s five months from an election or two days away.

What they’re not supposed to do, ever, is announce publicly that they’re conducing an investigation into a Presidential candidate before they’ve even obtained a warrant to do so. These investigations are supposed to occur quietly. By announcing that they’re going to check out more Clinton emails (which turned out to not even be hers), they’ve violated the Hatch Act and are influencing an election illegally.

20 Likes

…then it puts the lotion in the basket

3 Likes

witch-hunt

noun historical

a search for and subsequent persecution of a supposed witch.

informal: a campaign directed against a person or group holding unorthodox or unpopular views.

Appointed officials are excluded from the Hatch act.

1 Like

Are appointed officials excluded from interfering in elections? It sounds like you’re saying that he only faces unofficial scorn for doing something that would get anyone else fired.

2 Likes

The act was designed both to prohibit certain persons from joining groups that want to overthrow the Government, and also to prohibit some government employees from participating in partisan political activity. The President is exempt, as is anyone appointed by the President. There may be problems with Comey’s announcement, but I don’t think the Hatch Act is the issue.

1 Like

Yeah, well, like the way that Al Gore was dishonest about a bunch of stories (he wasn’t), Kerry acted dishonorably in Vietnam (he didn’t), and Obama was born in Kenya (he wasn’t). And now, apparently, Mrs. Clinton is a witch.

5 Likes