FBI investigating VC fund started by Peter Thiel for financial misconduct: Report

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/12/fbi-investigating-vc-fund-star.html

FBI and other federal agencies probe venture capital fund started by Peter Thiel

6 Likes

That’s not mithril - it’s a cosplay aluminum shirt.

25 Likes

Mithril? the Mythical silver of the Tolkien dwarves?
Why not just call the firm “Pyrite” (fool’s gold) it’d be more honest… oh wait, bloodsucking vampire conservadouche Peter Thiel is the founder? expect shitty shenanigans

8 Likes

Hoping that he disturbs a Balrog from its sleep.

11 Likes

Ironic that someone who’s hip-deep into Eye-of-Sauron-style tech uses names from the good side. Shouldn’t he be using names like Morgul, Ringwraith, or Lugbúrz?

7 Likes

What, just because this guy is their sales manager:

6 Likes

I figured this was some sort of fictional reference, but didn’t know this beforehand and thought it sounded more like a prescription drug:

Do not use Mithril if you are allergic to Mithril. Side effects may include vomiting, diarrhea, disturbing thoughts, pruritis, xerostomia, tachycardia and severe halitosis. Discontinue Mithril if redness or irritation occurs. Ask your doctor if Mithril is right for you.

7 Likes

Mithril. Palantir. I wish they would just leave Tolkein alone.

11 Likes

Their spokesperson denies that.

16 Likes

I’m sure everyone is amazed that this Ayn-Rand-loving, blood-boy-draining sugar daddy to the alt-right might be involved in shady business dealings.

16 Likes

It’s not as bad as you say. Is it?

[note sarcasm]

3 Likes

I am absolutely shocked that someone as upstanding and kind as Thiel could be accused of any wrongdoing, even in a hushed whisper. My world is shaken, and stirred.

3 Likes

Tired. Still works.

18 Likes

Call me when someone actually goes to jail.

10 Likes

The Deep State is getting desperate.

1 Like

The ghost of Gawker is laughing in the underworld (and writing a controversial article that will lead to warranted criticism).

7 Likes

Grifters gonna grift.

8 Likes

“And I’d like to thank Peter Palantir here for all his support over the years…”

7 Likes

So that’s what happened to Gríma Wormtongue.

11 Likes

I should hope that one can become very rich without some financial misconduct, but I am not so sure.

4 Likes