FedEx driver delivers racist attacker to the afterlife

Too bad, won’t be missed.

2 Likes

But most racist people don’t suddenly attack FedEx drivers…

I wasn’t aware these people were journalists. And everybody should be biased against racist views and activity. Objectivity doesn’t mean you have to pretend that bigotry is as worthy as anti-bigotry.

6 Likes

Exactly. It wasn’t his words that resulted in the punch. It was the thrown drink and the punch that he himself threw first. His death strikes me as the result of an unusually fragile skull, as I’m sure the driver didn’t expect one punch to kill him.

4 Likes

Next time I’ll be a giraffe… or a space monkey.

Not to mention, Portland has a few hate groups as listed by the SPLC. This driver is going to have to SERIOUSLY watch his back if he wasn’t before.

3 Likes

Most mentally ill people don’t attack FedEx drivers (or anyone), either.

20 Likes

I suggest that you read the ENTIRE article.

12 Likes

He should have still been charged with Manslaughter, he didn’t intend for his one punch to kill a man, but it still happened. Perhaps the local prosecutor figured that a jury would acquit him anyway. Still it does set an unwelcome precedent that its ok to punch racists/bigots even if it kills them.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

1 Like

No, it upholds the long-established precedent that it is okay to punch back when you are being attacked. The driver was not charged because it was an obvious case of proportionate self defence.

22 Likes

Hm… projection much…

Also, no one should die for being the “wrong” race either, but recent history is full of that, which you don’t seem to care about.

15 Likes

Many of them wait until they see the target of their racist hatred all by themselves, where they beat the shit out of them, usually in a large group. Sometimes, they drag them behind a truck or leave them for dead.

15 Likes

And considering how Omelas gets to be such a nice place to live … let’s just say I’m pretty sure we’re not supposed to use it as a model.

11 Likes

It’s been a while since I played, but my recollection was that the GURPS RPG systematized the randomness of injuries, in a way that was almost cripplingly realistic, assuming you used those rules. (After all, you really don’t want too much realism in a game, unless it’s very much non-action based, otherwise your characters get totally screwed over in non-heroic ways on an unpredictably random basis.)
It had a critical hit system that could multiply damage and have special effects, and a hit location chart that separated out vital spots from where they’re located (e.g. vital organs and torso were two different locations). Total damage done was base damage times any critical multiplier, limited by body location (i.e. a hit to the hands did less potential maximum damage than one to the arms, which did less than one to the torso, which did less than a hit to vital organs). Multiple shots to the torso could be survivable (especially if they missed the vital organs), but an (un)lucky blow to the head could be instantly fatal, regardless of how many “points” of damage it did.

2 Likes

Which doesn’t at all describe this scenario, given the number of witnesses in close proximity.

Sorry, man, that’s just not how this works.

10 Likes

http://www.westernmassrlc.org/rlc-articles/795-the-problem-with-suggesting-that-racism-is-caused-by-mental-illness

10 Likes

How what works? Public cheering over a death and a generally awful situation? Because whether or not people here want to acknowledge it, it’s very much what a large swath of this thread devolved to almost instantly.

To be honest, the tone in this board really sickens me at times. I’m out.

1 Like

Irrational belief does not equal mental illness. You can stop being racist by choosing to do so. Schizophrenia, bipolar, depression, etc are not something you can choose to stop having. Wish it was that easy, but it is most certainly not.

16 Likes