Ferment Mountain Dew for a boozy homebrewed treat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/05/ferment-mountain-dew-for-a-boozy-homebrewed-treat.html

5 Likes

You can also use mountain dew in bread, but again why would you bother?

12 Likes

Disgusting. This radiator coolant disguised as a beverage is mostly high-fructose corn syrup with artificial flavorings and unnatural color. And should not be promoted in any way, shape, or form.

7 Likes

The end is nigh.

3 Likes

With enough sugar and yeast, just about anything will ferment.

11 Likes

Weak sauce. Try distilling it instead!

9 Likes

The moonshine in my 12 year old set was a loaf of bunnybread (the brand name version had perfect blend of sugar and yeast) left in a sealed Tupperware of water. Hid in the local park bushes and retrieved after reaching fermentation. Add some juniper berry tea at the end to make it palatable. Just to note, the reason that Vodka is so popular is that potato fermentation is the least likely to make you go blind.

7 Likes

I tried it once, spat it out immediately and dumped the remainder in the can in the bin.

2 Likes

I’ve seen people use soda to make homemade kombucha before.

I wouldn’t drink it, but I’ve seen it.

2 Likes

Actual Radiator fluid is quite delicious I’m assured

4 Likes

Somehow, I don’t think this is what the Pogues and Dubliners had in mind…

8 Likes

This would be where you find out that the reason for the overwhelming sweetness is that the underlying flavor is nasty. Let the yeast eat up all the sugars (at 1.105, it will almost certainly wind up dry, if it ferments at all with all the other crap in there) and you get the unsweet flavor. Never tried it, can’t see doing that, there are so many much better things to ferment out there. Cannot see this ending well!

14 Likes

It seems very meta to choose “mountain dew” as the starting beverage for some unauthorized fermentation experiments.

9 Likes

Mountain Dew Code Red could have added a useful warning.

3 Likes

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

10 Likes

I’ve heard that if you try it once you’ll never drink anything else!

11 Likes

When I lived in Cambridge, in an apple orchard, watching the rabbits get drunk on fallen apples was a favorite pastime.

10 Likes

It’s been a while since I made wine (just regular fruit wines) but I’m surprised the experimenter had to add any sugar. I would’ve thought the Dew had plenty already.
I will not be trying this, but can’t wait to see the reaction videos when they taste the final product.

6 Likes

“Appearance of horse urine, aroma of . . . something. Not balanced, sweet, strong palate of fruit and citrus, pairs well with roasted squirrel meat and truck-stop donuts.”

4 Likes

I guess it’s true to the origins of the stuff. From the infallible Wikipedia:

“Tennessee bottlers Barney and Ally Hartman developed Mountain Dew as a mixer in the 1940s.[11] Soft drinks were sold regionally in the 1930s, and the Hartmans had difficulty in Knoxville obtaining their preferred soda to mix with liquor, preferably whiskey, so the two developed their own.[12]

2 Likes