Fermenting

Yum!  

2 Likes

Goes well with dandelion.

3 Likes

Pickled dandelion?

3 Likes

I tasted the carrot one at 5 days (yesterday), and it’s coming along nicely.
I started the other one yesterday, and I think the onions will really make it.

2 Likes

I need to do another ferment. How did those multi colored carrots turn out? That looked interesting but I don’t think you posted on the final result.

I also noticed you posted about fermenting daikon. Are you completely vegetarian or do you do fish? (I seem to remember mention of fish before but I could be wrong.) The reason I bring it up is the korean cubed radish kimchi I made was quite good, but if you’re unable to use fish sauce in it I’m going to have to say you’re on your own with the substitutions if I post a recipe.

2 Likes

I am so jealous. FERMENT ALL THE THINGS!!

Acetically yours,
@japhroaig

6 Likes

Apparently it’s a thing. I was thinking of the drink, though.

1 Like

Say whaaaa?

googling commences

EDIT: Wow, that is really quite cool! What does it taste like? Is it akin to root beer, or… well the pic you posted almost looks like a tea ah I see, that is the pickled dandelion :blush:.

1 Like

Courtesy of @japhroaig’s buddy:

1 Like

Did I post a pic from that book? I wanna knock him on the head and steal his stuff–that was supposed to be my life!!!

3 Likes

The multi-colored carrots turned out pretty well! I let them go for about 13 days before the flavor hit the right notes for me. The colors evened out during the ferment (the red carrots turned the brine a pretty color, didn’t they?), so they’re all on the orange-ish side.

4 Likes

And yes, I eat fish. I probably should pick up some fish sauce at some point, huh? So I can get my kimchi on.

2 Likes

The color always bleeds. If you want purple pickled carrots, only purple carrots. And so on. Bit with anything other than orange the color seems to fade, so a small slice of beet helps purple.

3 Likes

Hell yeah! I feel odd now if I don’t have something bubbling away on the counter.

3 Likes

Or you could ferment your own fish sauce!

2 Likes

Ah. So tasty, but lost the tri-color look. I wonder if you separated by color, fermented, and then mixed back together in the end …

I liked the tri color idea, and there’s a lot to be said about visual presentation with food.

4 Likes

I think I’ll stick to fermenting veg for now! :grin:

2 Likes

New batch of kimchi. I forgot to add carrots and daikon, so it is just cabbage.

7 Likes

Earthy flavor. In traditional Asian medicine it is said to be good for tonifying female internal organs. I love yama gobo maki and often order it as a test of any unfamiliar sushi bar, just to see what they have behind the counter.

Pro tip at a Japanese restaurant serving sushi or maki:
Flip over that slip of paper and write one/some/all of these maki as your order, ignoring whatever offerings are printed on the front:

• yama gobo maki (pickled burdock root)
  • umeshiso maki (pickled plum and perilla “shiso” leaf)
  • kampyo maki (preserved gourd)
  • oshinko maki (pickled daikon) (if the restaurant you’re in doesn’t have at least this in its fridge it may be a good time to find a better establishment!)

Please for the love of Jah, try to skip things offered with mayonnaise. It cloaks subtle flavors far too much!

3 Likes

So, uh hey, not to be too forward, but wanna go get some sushi some time?

4 Likes