Fermenting

Love to!
Long have I admired your fermentation (and other sorts of) knowledge.

Am unfortunately shackled to central Texas locale for the near-term. I haven’t been to San Francisco (yet) and am not currently planning to travel there very soon. I nevertheless hope there’s a way to sort our space-time nodes.

I’ll PM you in a bit. Chore await, and supposedly there’s a thunderstorm on the way, and then I Clock in at Work.

2 Likes

You’ve just listed almost all of the maki we generally order, along with each restaurant’s version of “veggie” maki (3 or 4 veggies, usually with at least kampyo or oshinko as one of the ingredients)!

4 Likes

Yeah the default Veggie Roll in the places I’ve been to in Most Big Cities seems to be shredded carrot, matchstick cucumber (peeled or not), avocado parts, and maybe oshinko (which sometimes is made commercially with aspartame! see below).

I’d love to see your list.

Here’s a nice roundup:
http://www.vegietokyo.com/info4vegie/articles/article2.html
I think I may have chimed in upthread re: natto, which I love.
I am working my way through this list:

I’ve made (and eaten) some of these–96 is a lot of vegetarian items.

I wish more Japanese restaurants (well, really, all restaurants now that I think about it) would do their own house pickles and ferments. Matsuya, in Chicago, in the '90s, did a very nice assortment, some of which were clearly made in-house.

I include in this wish: house-made pickled ginger. Dangit.

Nearly all restaurants that buy prepared gari get it from vendors who include aspartame as one of the ingredients in pickling “brine.” It’s unnecessary, not traditional, and when I eat aspartame I sometimes end up in the ER begging for a steroid shot. Aspartame isn’t really anyone’s friend, but that goes double for me.

Pickled ginger, peeps.

Anyone have a well-tested recipe for this? It’s more of a process than just an ingredients list. Please, come forward with your wisdom and deliver me from the insanity.

2 Likes

Seems to me you should be able to make pickled ginger using simple fermentation techniques. Ginger, water, salt, let it bubble!

I need to go to the store and get some ginger to try it out.

8 Likes

I can give it a try. I just did that, basically, with a lot of fresh turmeric root.

May have to give it a pinch of sugar or something to sweeten it to “sushi ginger” taste.
I wish I could rent about an hour’s worth of wisdom from a traditional Japanese granny who did her own pickling of… everything.

6 Likes

I think the traditional sushi ginger is done with rice vinegar and sugar, like you would use for seasoning sushi rice. The ginger itself isn’t fermented.

5 Likes

The radish/daikon/onion mix is done!

It’s pretty in pink and it is yummy. The daikon/carrot batch is done, too, and it’s good, but it made me realize something… I really don’t enjoy fermented carrots. I’ll eat what I’ve got, but I just don’t find the carrots as tasty as the other veggies. Huh.

8 Likes

Do you like carrots better pickled?

I’m not sure I’ve ever even had regular pickled carrots. :open_mouth:

Thank you!

Also:

3 Likes

:hearts:

Just another reason to love those tasty roots… I tried growing burdock last year and did not get good germination rates. Time to try again!

4 Likes

No worries :D. While I have been a Japanese food enthusiast for decades, I feel like an absolute noob. Some day I will spend time in Japan.

3 Likes

I have nothing fermenting right now. Turns out I’m running out of fridge space!

There’s only so much I can eat each day! Somebody needs to come over and help me consume this stuff so I can make more.

9 Likes

I would like to :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, pull up a chair and tuck in! :fork_and_knife:

2 Likes

That looks like the best dinner ever. Fuck the food pyramid and nutritional science, I for one suggest we all eat only fermented and pickled foods for every meal.

7 Likes

Beer and sauerkraut for everybody!

8 Likes

That sounds yummy, especially if you include some brats!

6 Likes

It’s gonna get awfully gassy around here with all that beer and kraut and brats.

7 Likes

Mmm, thanks!
Nom, nom.

3 Likes