Ferrari improved

I read it a different way.

• You can’t ‘improve’ a Ferrari - it’s already way too good for that, or
  • Painting a Ferrari gold mocks the stupid expense and ‘aura’ of the vehicle

Anyone with a car painted like this is going to get it keyed. Any car. Anyone fretting about the colour of a Ferrari and potential correlations to social status is being silly.

Besides - you can buy taste. What you can’t buy is style.

This vinyl job cost £4,000. I suspect it can be tugged off, and next week the car will return to normal. Well, normal for my garage, anyway.

1 Like

Yes, but it’s still the shaming of people who have money but do not have what the establishment considers “taste.” This isn’t much different from shaming people for not knowing what fork to use, what art is good, what music is good, what accent to speak in, etc., etc. Dude likes his car.

And I would be surprised if people in the UK don’t get judged based on their cars. Certainly in North America there are all sorts of prejudices against lowriders, Asian import tuners, cars with huge rims/spinners, etc.

perhaps it’s evidence of prejudice against the Daily Mail, and their sense of taste?

What’s all the fuss about, then? People are certainly fretting over the colour of this Ferrari, for reasons that quite escape me if not for status. Would this really be a post if someone had wrapped a 2002 Focus? [quote=“peregrinus_bis, post:21, topic:27275”]
Painting a Ferrari gold mocks the stupid expense and ‘aura’ of the vehicle
[/quote]
I think if it were being interpreted in this ironic context the reaction (at least from BB) would be rather different, though it’s interesting that the two possible readings you ascribe to this are almost diametrically opposed.

I’m not disagreeing with you about this but I stand by my claim that it is a dogwhistle from the Daily Mail. Top footballers in the UK have a similar reputation for their car choices, but don’t get singled out for an article, except maybe by Jeremy Clarkson.

The very DNA of good attention-getting.

Had it been a 2002 Focus, I think people would be crying with laughter. The paint job would be more than the value of the car.

Objectively, I think the car looks stunning. Ferraris are often dramatic swoops and curves, and utterly imply dynamism. Take the wheels off and cover up the gaps (like Bond’s underwater Lotus Esprit), and tell me it’s a spacecraft that protects the occupants from radiation, and I’d almost believe you.

Everybody pays attention to Ferraris. Love them, hate them, they represent so many things to so many people - but they’re very, very difficult to ignore.

That’s why I had to stop buying them. Can’t stand the way people stare.

1 Like

tasteless factory paint job

You’re dead to me, Rob.

FWIW I read this as “Guy takes ugly car and makes it uglier.”

Also, I’m trash from Texas.

1 Like

That’s the spirt!

I don’t see what the uproar is all about. Afterall, it seems there was nothing but good-natured lulz for <a href=“http://www.beheadingboredom.com/deadmau5s-nyan-cat-ferrari-f458/“target=”_blank”>this Ferrari. :wink: Perhaps the gent simply shares a sense of humor with the likes of Terry Gilliam.

You wouldn’t convince me, it is clearly the wrong shape.

4 Likes

oops! Didn’t quite work out to plan!

Gold vinyl? Gold leaf, at least, would be understandable. But this is just a bus-wrap!

You want to be classy, my friend, do what I do: just encrust the whole car in Swarovski crystals. It looks fantastic, and it’s actually quite a bit safer for night visibility than regular paint.

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s a Lambo, dude…

It’s pointy on one end! That makes it a rocket!

2 Likes

Tastes, ranked:

1. Bad taste
  2. No taste
  3. Good taste
1 Like

We can all own a gold ferrari.

3 Likes

I seem to recall that Ferarri was less than generous with the paint when it came to the f40. Anything more than a thin smear would ruin the handling charcteristics of the car due to excess weight.

pfft this ain’t got nothing on deadmau5’s nyancat ferrari - complete with “EPICLULZ” licence plates. No, really.

2 Likes

Mock if you must but:

3 Likes

Protip: Make + Colour + Licence plate = convincing call to the cops that they’re obliged to do something about.