Finally...smart glasses that work like a dream and don’t look amazingly dumb

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/16/finally-smart-glasses-that-w.html

2 Likes

… and don’t look amazingly dumb

sezyou

I beg to differ. They look ridiculous.

28 Likes

Man it’d be tough to write copy without welling up a bit.
As a glasses wearer, I’m offended.

8 Likes

Oh, cool.
So… where are they?

10 Likes

Nice advertising slogan: They don’t look amazingly dumb!

14 Likes

But do they come in my prescription?

1 Like

“smart glasses that work like a dream and don’t look amazingly dumb”
…Proceeds to show us people that look amazingly dumb

8 Likes

Aren’t as good as these:

8 Likes

Right. If the manu doesn’t also think they’re dumb then why are they trying so hard and failing with their promotion?

2 Likes
7 Likes

i actually thought the original Google ones looked fine. i never understood the media’s scorn for them. but these? yeah, they look dumb as hell.

11 Likes

I think it was the cameras and the Google that made people hate them. Which is fair enough. Google are some dystopian shit.

I can see a market for sports glasses though. Give you your speed, distance, heart stats or whatever. GPS guidance would be cool too. They exist but I don’t hear anything about them so maybe they actually sell well.

7 Likes

13 Likes

11 Likes

In my book, the notion of a children’s show – one that revolves around a 9 year old having his brain uploaded with information and chops needed to assassinate people – takes a back seat to unfortunate eyeglass wear. :wink:

6 Likes

I wish that they’d made a follow-up series about a grown up Joe trying to process the carnage from his early years.

4 Likes

Just like dad! Thank you, supermarionassassination!

6 Likes

It is when he pulls off that obvious wig, removes his glasses and reveals himself to be…

4 Likes

FYI: I don’t think Joe 90 ever made it to the US… at least… I never, during my childhood, saw it listed anywhere in ye olde tv guide. I did see an episode (bonus material) on the excellent Thunderbird’s blu rays that came out awhile back. The episode, to me, was bleak, with the back-then-expected foreign name, foreign accent evil doer. I think the bleakness I felt was magnified by having first watched the entire Thunderbirds series which was, by comparison, generally “up” (and with the many cool aircraft and vehicles), and with only a couple of those episodes hinting at Joe 90 darkness.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, Joe’s subtext was truly horrible.

2 Likes