First grader disciplined at school for saying"Jesus Christ"

Jesus Christ Love GIF by Mr.Mabee.Ink

9 Likes

10 Likes

I first heard the phrase in college, (from a Jewish woman named Christian…) so it felt like a ren faire.

6 Likes

I’m going out on a limb here, but if the kid had uttered something, something like “Go Brandon!” it would have been just fine down there in Mississippi. Hell, the school board would take the child out for free ice cream.

“Unacceptable language” is subjective at best. Is there a teachers check box on that form for “I’'m an ignorant right wing bible thumper whose gawd is the one and only gawd and I is eagerly waiting for the apocalypse.”

13 Likes

It similar to the passive voice. The speaker can’t bring themselves to say “Speaking for myself and only myself, I find this unacceptable”, so they attempt to transform their offense into a generalised social norm.

12 Likes

As long as they do the same thing for kids that blaspheme against Muhammed/Allah, Buddah, Satan, or science; then that would be equitable. But I guarantee this school doesn’t, and that’s a violation of the Establishment Clause.

16 Likes

Lamorne Morris Fox GIF by New Girl

They are not the “one true god” :tm: like Supply-side Jesus… /s

14 Likes

I’m reminded of the time my friends’s toddler was playing with his grandmother and broke a toy, then exclaimed, “Oh, shit!” His grandmother very sweetly told him, “That’s not a nice word. When something like that happens you should just say, ‘Ay ay ay!’”

The kid promised to do what grandma said. The next time he broke something he yelled, “Ay ay ay! Oh, shit!”

11 Likes

8 Likes

Username checks out…

5 Likes

“Christ on a bicycle!” where I grew up.

6 Likes

Saying “Jesus Christ” in the context that the child said it is fairly harmless, much like the little girl in the viral video who complains to her mother about the “f’ing goats.”

I’m from a rather large city in the US and not the Bible belt. I believe (perhaps incorrectly) that saying “Jesus Christ” in a conversation can change the conversation to an argument and saying “Jesus Christ” in an argument can change relative temperature of the situation to a fight in the way that a lot of other profanities do. This effect doesn’t necessarily change among non-Christians or the non-religious. Saying, “Jesus Christ,” as an utterance of anger is at the very least impolite.

Some people might say, “I don’t care what a bunch of hypersensitive Christians think.” Consider the next time you are having a vocal argument with a friend or loved one, instead if saying something like, “you’re being ridiculous” or “you shouldn’t have done that,” throw the “Jesus Christ” before that statement and see what happens.

3 Likes

Exactly. Treat it the same way you would if the kid said “fuck”.

8 Likes

10 Likes

Apparently they can. In fact, they insist.

4 Likes

Yeah. I think it should have been handled like the mom did in the “f’ing goats” video.

It shouldn’t have escalated, but I still don’t see why this was important enough for the news.

2 Likes

Well, a cursory search shows the story being reported on mostly Fox affiliates if that tells you anything.

10 Likes

This statement indicates the person who gets violently offended at an irreverent exclamation really really needs to actually read the teachings of the person they claim to be getting offended on behalf of.

12 Likes

It’s news because the DeSoto County school board chose to make it news by disciplining a 7-year-old.

10 Likes

I don’t think the what the kid said was offensive. I do think saying, “Jesus Christ,” in an argumentative context is something that regular people (myself included) find offensive.

2 Likes