Fishermen rescue deer floating at sea 5 miles off Maine coast

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/08/fisherman-rescues-deer-5-miles.html

9 Likes

Meanwhile there’s a very confused hunter five miles inland who is bringing home a tuna for dinner.

46 Likes

Unfortunately, it was too small, so he had to throw it back.

Thank you! I’m here all week.

23 Likes

In a twist, that deer would have fed a lot of crab and lobster

8 Likes

Five miles out? Wow, I’m thinking those hooves don’t work that great as paddles/fins. How the heck did that deer stay above water that long? Amazing story, and after all that, the buck certainly deserved to not become crab food.

2 Likes

. . .as he crested the hillock above the beach, the young deer paused, perhaps reflecting on how lucky he was to still be alive as the sun set behind him. Unfortunately this framed him perfectly on the horizon, and a nearby hunter had no trouble bringing him down with his .30-06 rifle.

4 Likes

Probably got carried out in the tide. I’d assume that keeping the head above water isn’t terribly difficult for a deer with their relatively small head and large lung capacity.

3 Likes

Deer are actually remarkably good swimmers, even in the ocean, and are often able to reach and populate islands near to shore.

Naturally, a lot of them probably drown before that happens, and likely this one would have if it hadn’t been rescued.

5 Likes

Yeah. Deer float. They don’t weigh all that much and as you said, big chest with lots of air.

Swimmin deer are weird, they don’t doggy paddle with all their legs. They kinda curl up the rear of their body and and flick it, a pretty similar movement to when they run full speed. So they can swim directly into shore and just transition to a full run without breaking stride. And they’re pretty damn fast in the water.

10 Likes

The buck stops here.

But also, yay for people! sometimes.

12 Likes

“You are not going to believe what happened to me today…”

5 Likes

Yep, that’s getting close to the east end of Maine, and there are some wicked strong tides there. No doubt he got pulled out.

3 Likes

HEY! HEY! I’M EVOLVING HERE!

WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT’S MY NATURAL HABITAT?

14 Likes

https://twitter.com/EarthHeroOrg/status/1178656229029273600

7 Likes

“I was just out for my daily swim when I got pulled up into this alien ship! Guys, I thought I was getting probed for sure!”

3 Likes

We’re assuming he wasn’t…

1 Like

sorry I have no ideas

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.