Flavor Flav's rendition of the National Anthem yesterday was really something! (video)

Originally published at: Flavor Flav's rendition of the National Anthem yesterday was really something! (video) | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I unironically love it.

Tom Hanks Clapping GIF

It’s a notorious hard song to get right, and besides, no one will ever live up to Whitney Houston’s version (at least by other pop stars), so… :woman_shrugging:

15 Likes

Yeah, he did fine! It’s an extremely hard song to sing along with music and singing it a cappella adds another layer of difficulty.

I like that he always wanted to do this. :grin:

9 Likes

Still better than Roseanne Barr’s.

4 Likes

Weird and curiously respectful rendition. Also, dude’s pitch and vocal control is spot on while his phrasing is sorta upsetting. Love it, no notes.

The pure mic feed cuts out all reverb which is not how it sounded live. I feel like it’s losing something.

Edit: Here’s a version with crowd noise. Better. Flavor Flav goes viral after singing the national anthem at Bucks game

7 Likes

I like stripped down vocals.

3 Likes

If you’re going to mention the gold standard, we need to post it.

(Flavor’s version was excellent, too)

Okay, now I’m really missing her. Look at that smile. She lit up that night with her voice and her presence.

5 Likes

I mean, Whitney Houston’s range was incredible, her voice was truly amazing.

3 Likes

I don’t know that I love it, but it’s way better than I could manage and I’ve certainly heard worse.

Yeah, that would one of them.

6 Likes

The closed captioning is awesome!

1 Like

honestly didn’t think i was gong to like this rendition.

3 Likes

Curious question for non-americans… does that Whitney Houston rendition give you a shiver down your spine? I only ask because I found that quite moving, but usually could give two fucks about that song.

3 Likes

Michelle Obama Thumbs Up GIF

4 Likes

Well. . . that was . . . not bad.

3 Likes

The way to sing propaganda without autotune.

1 Like

Of course, Laibach did a cover on their Volk album (reinterpretations of national anthems)…

3 Likes

@Mindysan33 posted this in the music thread earlier today. I still think it’s pretty great, especially considering Flava Flav isn’t known as a singer. There is a deliberate cadence in his rendition, I didn’t expect it at the first bar, but was obvious at the third - he sang it as the poem it started as, but still incorporated that janky-ass drinking song meant to be sung in harmony by 4 drunk dudes. :clap::clap::clap:

6 Likes

Agree. This is a great rendition. Don’t know what the poster’s problem is with it.

I mean, that is pretty much what I would expect out of Flavor Flav. All that was missing was a “Yeah Boooyyyy” at the end.

I hated it but I would not give Flav grief for performing it, sounds like it was something he’d really been wanting to do so i’m glad he got to really commit to it and belt it out. I would never have such courage even if i could sing.

1 Like