Flip open a butterfly knife like a gentleman bastard

Finally! Someone gets it! Yes, I am the arbiter of what activities are and are not acceptable.

Or maybe I was just stating a personal opinion. Your choice.

Did they make a video on that? Iā€™d watch that one.

http://bfy.tw/5Ryy

I was bored after 20 seconds.

3 Likes

HA, at nightclubs & bars in the 80s, early 90s I was quick on the drawā€¦to light a ladies or friends cigarette with a lighter or matches, while some dude tried to do something fancy with a Zippo. Even when they could do it, I was usually faster.

3 Likes

An opinion is one thing. Characterizing anyone who likes a certain activity as placing them firmly in the category of douchebaggery is, ironically, douchebaggery.

2 Likes

No, not if that activity is a real douchebag of an activity. And in my opinion, this is. Itā€™s right up there with bringing your own pepper mill to a restaurant. But youā€™re certainly entitled to your own opinion.

1 Like

The hard part is getting that Glasgow Smile perfectly symmetrical when the sodding prick wonā€™t stop thrashing.

2 Likes

There is this wonderful school of thought that looks at whatever is most popular with scary criminals at the moment and then bans that. Because that is a perfectly sustainable strategy leading to lasting success.

3 Likes

Woah, woah, woah. The giant pepper mill/working wooden leg I bought is the best accessory for any pirate themed salad party. And itā€™s not some stupid unitasker like fire extinguisher.

Some people are just so judgementalā€¦

4 Likes

I would disagree that a fire extinguisher is a unitasker. They can be used for spraying foam in the face of a bad guy, or as Dave Letterman has shown, as a low-tech rocket propellant for rolling chair races (though technically, they were using nitrogen).

1 Like

I got mine from my dad when he confiscated it off some poor Job Corps kid he was supervising.

You werenā€™t working on a forest service road crew in the late 80s were you?

1 Like

Damnit Lamora, what scheme have you dreamed up now?

1 Like

Much faster and likely much, much deadlier is to get a Open Assisted Knife.

Not necessarily this one, but one like it. Picture your opponent with the butterfly knife as the big dude with the Sword in the Indiana Jones movie. You, with an Open Assisted Knife as Indie.

2 Likes

Stop insisting on eye contact while you do it then!

Just carry a can of hair spray for a less-lethal option.

ETA:

That guy is probably going to die of old age because the crime stats are in his favor generally, but if he tries to use that knife for self-defense, heā€™s probably going to die- or at least be horribly injured, or even be convicted of murder.

Iā€™ve watched a lot of knife reviews, and itā€™s abundantly obvious when someone knows what theyā€™re talking about and when they donā€™t. Reminds me of exactly this parody review:

Hereā€™s the rule: Carry a gun for self-defense, or far far less preferably carry a knife that isnā€™t a toy, and be prepared to use it. Or carry nothing and know how to capitulate. I carry a knife on my person at all times. Iā€™m nowhere near stupid enough to use it for self-defense.

3 Likes

No, but perhaps your dad was leading a double life, confiscating stuff from his nare-do-well other family, to give to his ā€œcool sonā€ ā€¦

2 Likes

I can ret-con that into my remembered history.

Although, Iā€™d always thought I was from the neā€™er-do-well side of the family.

Being the cool kid is going to take a lot more memory rewritingā€¦

2 Likes

Hey, itā€™s not so hard! Big whoop!

1 Like

Who reviews a knife without mentioning what kind of steel it is?

I got it for less than eight bucks on Amazon

Oh. I retract the question.

Mumbledepeg. Also, I was a kid long enough ago that chemistry sets still came with fun ingredients. Nitrogen triiodide, anyone?

3 Likes