Flip your flapjacks & omelets in style with this twin-skillet design

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/13/flip-your-flapjacks-omel.html

Thank goodness the BoingBoing Store is back!

2 Likes

Spatulas, spatulas — the lifetimes I have wasted washing spatulas.

5 Likes
14 Likes

I am assured.

7 Likes

Doesn’t this design mean that the second pan won’t be hot when the pancake/egg/etc. is flipped onto it?

5 Likes

Less warm certainly. I wonder how much that would matter. The first bit of cooking for an egg/omelet or pancake is really about firming things up vs the flip-side finishing heating things through. I kinda want to try this technique just to see :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s what I would think, but appears to be a pretty thin pan without much thermal mass. Getting the griddle/pan just the right temp for pancakes is something that should be straightforward but is one of my biggest weaknesses, so I doubt I’d get along well with this pan.

This is a cheap “As Seen on TV!” product that is available for less on Amazon with faster shipping.

1 Like

X-All-The-Y_phixr

8 Likes

If you have a cleanup issue after making an omelet you have failed at making an omelete.

4 Likes

Anyone know what “fluffy cookie treats” made in a skillet would refer to? I might want some, but I’m not sure what they are. Recipes, please?

2 Likes

But is it Ponderosa good?

4 Likes

Looks like a unitasker to me. Well, okay, for both eggs and pancakes. Just a step above.

1 Like

Put hot coals on top of it like a dutch oven?

I’m lying in bed cracking up, this is great. I can’t get over the name.

ia it made of Gotham steel? Do two of anything constitute a bonanza, or are some extra features required?

Wait, according to the video it’s a Gotham Steel Pancake Bonanza Copper

Anyways, this reminds me of how I almost want to try making super-thick pancakes in my fancy rice cooker, except that would prob be too much pancake

2 Likes

Am I the only one who thinks that sunny-side up egg in the photo looks obviously photoshopped into the pan? The reflection of light, lack of shadow, etc. Plus either the scale of that egg is off or that pan is teeny tiny.

But then again, it’s not as bad as those notorious images of back yard inflatable water play structures that have teeny tiny kids photoshopped on to them.

5 Likes

Amateurs.

8 Likes

2 Likes

If this was an issue, and you fear the flip, owning two pans, (you could warm both), would make this easier. And you could cook two different things in them when they you weren’t making flipping food. And you could clean more easily a single pan, rather than an awkward hinged pan.

For me the biggest issue is that this is a wasted opportunity to master one of the easiest fun kitchen juggling skills, the flip. Less risky than knife juggling, easier than pizza spinning, requires less surface area than Teppanyaki showmanship.

5 Likes

Ostrich egg.

1 Like