Flood destroys home of man who believes floods sent to punish gays

My German fiancee says that she can’t think of anything that suits your needs.

8 Likes

Can’t she just create something? That’s what I’ve always envied about the German language. :smiley:

4 Likes

maybe Schadenhäme - Häme is malice, normally connected with a glee/mischief feeling. though I’m not sure if it would be without explanations understandable as escalation of Schadenfreude

5 Likes

I guess this is God’s way of saying to this guy:

7 Likes

My point is you said ‘Karma has nothing to do with God’, and I gave you an example of how it does, and now you seem to be agreeing with me and contradicting your self, so…

Both very different uses of the term, however, describe a generally teleological chain of cause and effect, whether the cycle of and path to escape from samsara, or simply reaping what you sow in this life. Unfortunately, both describe something that does not exist, a cosmic bias for a particular set of values.

3 Likes

[quote=“GulliverFoyle, post:46, topic:83660”][quote=“replicant1968”]
Karma is a concept of my religion, what’s your point?[/quote]

Both very different uses of the term, however, describe a generally teleological chain of cause and effect, whether the cycle of and path to escape from samsara, or simply reaping what you sow in this life. Unfortunately, both describe something that does not exist, a cosmic bias for a particular set of values.[/quote]

In any event, isn’t the Golden Rule the foundation of all credible morality?

1 Like

But what if you have a fetish for being surprised at night by men dressed as anatomically correct porpoises?

6 Likes

[quote=“nimelennar, post:48, topic:83660”]
But what if you have a fetish for being surprised at night by men dressed as anatomically correct porpoises?[/quote]
If that’s a value shared by people generally, then I suppose that would be a thing, but, pragmatically, you’ll discover whether or not they believe in the golden rule. If you’re lucky they will treat you the same way they would want to be treated if they invaded someone’s home as a sexual predator… and call the cops. If not, they’ll shoot you themselves. Either way, good luck with that. Porpoise home intrusions may become a thing in Louisiana, if the sea level keeps rising!

2 Likes

The only German dialect I speak is English, but perhaps schadenekstase?

In any event, at the risk of being a wet blanket, I can’t feel much schadenekstase on account of all the other undeserving victims of the flood that took this prick’s house.[quote=“chromakey, post:47, topic:83660”]
In any event, isn’t the Golden Rule is the foundation of all credible morality.
[/quote]
I can’t tell if that’s a question or a declarative statement (not trying to grammar nazi, just sincerely confused).

Anyway I will say that something like the Golden Rule shows up in many religions and ethical codes all the way back to the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Code of Hammurabi. However, there is no evidence that the cosmos is in any way aligned with the Golden Rule. On the contrary, the natural universe is unremittingly violent and hostile. The most that can be said empirically is that some ethical meta-principles create more stable human communities owing to our particular nature as one of the billions of species on the tiny dust mote that is the planet Earth, and so crop up again and again in the mythologies and philosophies (both deontological and utilitarian) of human cultures. So it stands to reason that there was some understanding of the meta-principle, of which the Golden Rule is a relatively modern example, at least as early as the Indus Valley Civilization and in all likelihood at least as early as the Neolithic development of agricultural communities.

However, as a species we are now engaged in the early stages of an unprecedented revolution in engineering our own innate nature, and as such we may finally have the opportunity, whether we want it or not, to study whether this meta-principle extends generally to eusocial sapient cultures, a phenomenon we have until now only been able to study from the outside through a cloudy lens, as with the groundbreaking work of Jane Goodall.

TL;DR - There’s no empirical evidence the universe cares, and plenty that it neither does nor can care, about human ethics. But some ethical systems may be mathematically more stable for human nature, and just maybe other eusocial tribal animals.

9 Likes

High Humour! You must be accounting “the latter” as where I typed “amirite?” amirite?

All evidence suggests my way works as well as yours :wink:

But do, do elucidate on this religion you have that has freed other religions of the bonds of spirituality.

Is it nice?

7 Likes

It started as a declarative, but I reconsidered as soon as I read my own posted message and it sounded preachy. For me at this time, that is a close tangent from reading about the irony of someone who became a victim of their own unjust curse for others. I’m also ashamed to admit that is superimposed with some schaftensfreud. Google translates schadenekstase as “ecstasy harm,” which I sort of interpret as a “harm of schaftensfreud.” Does that make sense, or am I lost, here?

We’re agreed on the understanding that the natural universe does not take sides in human affairs, even if there exists a lovely latent cultural tendency to colloquially anthropomorphize it in informal conversational idioms.

I take it for granted that in species with social interaction, this meta-principle has survival benefits. I’m also curious if we can ever hope to culturally establish the meta-principle in our own species everywhere at once; its antithesis is one hell of a viral meme once it has been hidden behind one or two levels of abstraction, and human designs can be prone to our own partiality, unlike the natural universe.

3 Likes

I prefer the silver rule. The Golden Rule gives folks too much flexibility. “I would want to know if I was believing in god wrong and going to hell because of it so I should harass her endlessly until she believes the right way.” Just because I believe Jesus was just this guy doesn’t mean I want to be harassed. :laughing:

5 Likes

Your vernacular is fine–It’s that people assume I too am using this lay version due to the western simplification/appropriation–when in fact, I’m referring to its understanding within the (more or less traditionally agreed) Buddhist understanding.

No assumption was made about what you meant, at least not on my part.

I only bothered to explain the US appropriation of the word because that’s how it was being used in this context; as a simplification, not a Buddhist concept.

It takes more than one person to have a dialogue, and everyone’s perspective matters.

6 Likes

+1, although I will add that the diverse religions Westerners group into the category Hinduism often treat Buddhism’s treatment of karma as an appropriation of the “original” understanding of karma.

@replicant1968: FWIW, the main reason I don’t assume you’re using it in the Western sense is because of how you used it. It’s largely been my experience that the idiomatic Western sense in which karma is used tends to be pithy (flippant if we’re being less than charitable), while the Eastern sense of the term tends to be used in a more involved context.

4 Likes

Fair enough.

I ended up involved in this tangent because someone else used the word as many Americans do, and the retort was that it was a concept of someone’s religion, along with the implication that they had missed the point.

So I felt compelled to explain.

3 Likes

My favorite expression concerning karma comes from Babylon 5
"I can only conclude that I am paying off karma at a vastly accelerated rate"

7 Likes

Oh yeah, if you’re going to be all “mature” and “a decent person”. Wet blanket.

5 Likes

What’s wrong with some people that they spend time worrying about how other people get off?

2 Likes