Florida bans rainbow lighting on bridges as Pride Month approaches

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/23/florida-bans-rainbow-lighting-on-bridges-for-pride-month.html

16 Likes

Doubleplus-free, in fact.

Although by combining their colors, they can at least get some nice pinks, purples and violets in there. Might be nice for a city to do some [verb that relates to creatures that live under said bridges].

33 Likes

Florida’s fascists would be pathetic if they weren’t so dangerous. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

38 Likes

What problem are you trying to solve, Florida?

27 Likes

Sounds like some heroic Floridians are about to flood the state with outdoor projectors and rainbow filters.

30 Likes

They’re obviously looking for some type of a solution, and they’ll keep trying until they get to the final one.

20 Likes

Like I said when this topic first came up yesterday:

28 Likes

Because nothing says “freedom” like the state dictating what colors can be displayed.

33 Likes

the freest state in the nation

I’m betting he said this with both middle fingers extended.

9 Likes

Freedom from thinking, freedom from having to do anything the Repubicans don’t want you doing.

Anything can be a freedom if you warp the language enough.

24 Likes
15 Likes

What happens if someone lights up their bridge in rainbows anyway. What can the state governor actually do?

21 Likes

As always, DeSantis is a petty sadistic bully.

18 Likes

gove_is_idiot

20 Likes

The state forcing certain wavelengths of light into your eyeballs, of course. The state forcing you to keep an embryo inside your body is one thing, but the state imposing certain arrangements of certain wavelengths of light - intolerable!

I know the word “irony” is widely and consistently misused, to the point where I even find myself uncertain about it, but is theirs not a true, pure, actual ironic use of the word “freedom,” to mean the opposite of its definition?

19 Likes

It’s straight out of 1984 “doublethink.”

21 Likes

Freedom.

princess bride Theatre & Musicals GIF

11 Likes
11 Likes

spelled

F - R - E - E - D - U - M - B

10 Likes

Sorry, I missed those! I saw it right after I posted.

But wow. The mental gymnastics to reconcile the cognitive dissonance must be incredibly exhausting. Just hearing the double-speak is beyond frustrating. And then all the supportive chatter and statements from their allies on adjacent topics to reinforce a part of their argument is bonkers.

14 Likes