Florida cop tases 62 year old woman

I just spent 20 mins reading about Oliver Cromwell, trying to figure out the relevance…

5 Likes

This is the third time in the past few weeks that I’ve heard of a cop getting consequences for bad behavior in a video. I can’t remember ever hearing of this happen in the past.

The cops obviously haven’t woken up to the fact that they are no longer anonymous, but municipalities seem to be waking up to the cost of letting cops run wild.

4 Likes

You have such crazy, old-fashioned notions of civil liberties!

2 Likes

Sorry to have misdirected you, my friend.

But boning up on Cromwell is almost always a worthwhile thing.

3 Likes

It didn’t improve my opinion of him.

I was always more of a Levellers fan.

I’m not saying that your house is what you’re protecting in this case. I’m saying that someone intruding into your house is the same as backing you into a corner. It should give you the moral right to defend yourself and your family by any means you have at hand, whether that’s shooting them, or hacking at them with a machete, or whatever paranoid booby traps you’ve setup to spring on intruders. If someone’s broken into your house, you have no where else to retreat. It’s not about defending the house, it’s about the home as a demarcation between where you have an obligation to flee, and where you may choose to defend yourself by any means at hand.

And for some, a life is more precious than anything, even the life of an attacker who would kill you. I have great respect for such people. I’m not one of them. I’m of the mind that if someone is willing to intrude into my home, they’ll do it again, in other people’s homes, and incapacitating them or possibly killing them is at least somewhat justified. I’d rather know my family is safe, and my neighbors won’t be bothered by that person again, than live in fear that this person could be back again and might decide to kill me or my family, instead of just try to steal my crap.

6 Likes

Nah, always go with Declan. Mr. McManus knows…*

http://vimeo.com/44778138

*granted, there’s some ambiguity about which Oliver, but I always tended toward the roundhead.

4 Likes

Presumably it’s to generate State revenue from fines.

2 Likes

Touch of Evil, Welles and Heston, 1958 The scene should be compulsory for all kinds of public service training.

In nearly all these cases the biggest perceived ‘threat’ is to their egos and machismo. Nothing else. This reaction to supposed ‘disrespect’ or ‘threat’ is simply fragile, over-inflated and over-armed ego defending itself and blaming something else, because it knows it can. How could anyone possibly, sanely, in any way at all respect a group of moronic bullies and thugs who behave like this? As someone else said I literally find it hard to believe that people in these communities aren’t going and burning these forces to the ground. I would call these people’s disrespect utterly sane and appropriate.

5 Likes

Several departments have discovered how successful initial runs with on-uniform cameras were, and they aren’t taking those results lightly. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing more of the same soon. Not just in response to Ferguson, but because departments can’t afford to keep officers who’ve misbehaved at desks earning pay.

2 Likes

In no way are the police underfunded. In any cases where it may appear so, it’s because they’ve mismanged thier funds, buying unnecessary & shiny toys.

2 Likes

#Hey!!!

#notallpuritans

10 Likes

In this case, it’s probably more about filling the contractually obligated minimum number of beds at the local for-profit prison.

6 Likes

I can here the defense now…“well, I used non lethal force. It was just a taser. Better than what happens in Fergueson!”

I’d be willing to say this is an improvement, but yeah…no…its not.

Holy slaughtered children, Batman!

I had not clicked through until just now, that is so wrong, yet so exemplary.

That quote so desperately needs to be followed with another few lines…

Desensitizing officers to killing women, children, and elders is absolutely the last thing that should be considered police “training.”

3 Likes

Irony used to work here.

But I guess that changed when Barack Obama was shot dead by police for being black.

Key & Peele nails it

Put a hoodie on him & let him walk alone or with other black people down a street & the current system would assure that Obama becomes just another n**** on lockdown.

His exception practically speaks the rule.

3 Likes

As a representative of the Mother Country, I apologise on our behalf for allowing them to be furnished with a sufficiently sturdy boat…

3 Likes

What about boning dressed as Cromwell?

2 Likes