Florida cop tases 62 year old woman

Such a dreamer!!

1 Like

Ewww.

Having said that, I’m sure Rule 34 applies.

3 Likes

I’d wager dressed is the only way Cromwell boned.

Wait? How the hell did we get this far off topic?

6 Likes

Oh, I’m good. I managed to get from Hirohito’s surrender to a discussion on the merits of langoustines the other day. Topical, schmopical :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

An entirely different meaning of Roundhead.

5 Likes

With all the awesome.

4 Likes

Does it bother anyone else that the people involved have emphasized that this took place in ‘broad daylight’ or that even the civil advocates say things like “folks … are being hurt in this manner openly”?

Doesn’t this indicate a mindset that accepts things like this will happen at night or in secret? Doesn’t it seem to set an expectation on police behavior that’s entirely unacceptable?

1 Like

I would say that people are shocked that the police feel they can do these things openly, without needing to hide their crimes under the cover of darkness. It doesn’t mean that the crimes are ok in the dark, it just means that it is upsetting that the perpetrators are brazen enough to not care to hide them. What is most troubling is of course that far too often they can commit these sorts of abuses openly and plainly and still get away with them.

3 Likes

um, I know that this is the internet, but some kinks are best kept to oneself…

3 Likes

“one officer explaining that he enlarged photos of his own kids to use as targets”

holy. shit.

Def: Police Academy: A procedure involving the removal of all empathy and humanity.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I love Key & Peele. But anyway:

So you’re saying that dressing and acting like a member of a less privileged economic class actually does have something to do with how a person is treated? That can’t be; I was assured in this very thread that only skin color matters.

No tasers for this white rapper dude, his skin color will protect him, hoodie or no hoodie!

I don’t think he meant killing to defend property, but killing to defend your life. The point was that your own home should be a place to draw the line at the obligation to retreat.

I thoroughly agree. If someone breaks into my house (especially as violently as no-knock invasions are), I should be under no obligation to guess at what the intruder’s intentions are.

3 Likes

?? Someone told you something absolutist & you bought it?

But one of these things is -not- like the other.

All else being equal, black people would still be disproportionately stopped by police, searched by police, arrested by police, harassed, beaten, etc by police as it stands.

As for your Oklahoman neckbeard friend, even with his jobstoppers & firearms, yes, he is better off in an encounter with police.

Lose the guns from the scenario and let a “yessir” pass through his lips and he would be far more likely to walk away from an encounter with police than many a black person no matter how acquiescent.

In essence, yes, police will treat a “BTL” poorly, but the thing is, many police, such that you can call it the system, consider all black people “BTL” until proven otherwise, and sometimes even then.

3 Likes

New mental image of @mister44.

3 Likes

Watch it, Mr. 44 has six little friends!

:stuck_out_tongue:

@funkdaddy, I not only didn’t buy it, I mocked it. And if you substitute “poor” for “black” in your statement, it’s still true, eh? Nearly any cop in the USA will go after a poor white homeless man before he’ll go after a rich black businessman, because the cops prey on the disempowered (if that’s even a word). It’s what bullies do, regardless of how racist they are. Fixing the problem is not a matter of changing people’s color or perception of color, the best route to a solution is directly empowering those who are oppressed, through education and job opportunities.

1 Like

I think your solution is what I’d expect having read some of your previous posts in the past, but I don’t like to discount ambiguities. (I also didn’t bother to scroll up to whoever was spouting nonsense)

Yes, empowerment is the answer, much bigotry & oppression is a symptom, symptoms can be extremely useful as gauges & in this instance the focus on a solution should not lend itself to equivocating arguments away from the symptom for the serious nature of the symptom. In many illnesses symptoms can be ignored to the betterment of the patient, but serious symptoms ought not be.

There’s no reason for it after all, there’s enough of us to properly focus on both. Just like one part of the political sphere furthers the oppression that is the illness, with the result of what should be an immunological response attacking the host instead of protecting it. The other side of the argument believes in a division of labour, behooves us to do the same where we can.

1 Like

If there is nowhere to retreat in your house, where do you go if there the house is on fire? Unless you live caged by burglar bars (in which case the fire department and your landlord should be contacted), there is always a way to retreat. In that instant with an attacker in your space and you running out the back door I guarantee you will be safer than if you run towards your attacker with a deadly weapon.

I do think I agree with that; it might even be what I was driving at; but it’s been a long day. I mought think on’t further.

1 Like

I’m starting to understand the thinking of the Police now; ‘Shoot first…’