Florida court orders a "parentless" teenager to carry a child to term

Originally published at: Florida court orders a "parentless" teenager to carry a child to term | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Jesus Fucking Christ do these people ever hear the words coming out of their own mouths.

71 Likes

The teen who took their ass to an appellate court for the right to not have her body used as an incubator is too immature to make that decision.

69 Likes

Florida keeping it classy as usual

11 Likes

Forget the appellate court, take this to family/divorce court and levy the judge for alimony and child support.
(Try to get a female judge who will put the original judge in his place. I mention family court as they have been known to hand out verdicts that are usually unbounded by reality/constraints.)

15 Likes

ok florida, so now we are here. who exactly is going to raise this kid? an “immature” teen? what the fuck are they thinking.

31 Likes

Want to put my fist right through the monitor reading a story like this. Like what in the actual fuck!?!?!?

24 Likes

That’s basically what I came here to say, yeah. She’s not “old enough” to decide she needs an abortion, but she IS old enough to be forced into caring for a child she doesn’t want. I don’t expect that to end well…

23 Likes

If she’s unprepared to have a child, then she’s too immature to have an abortion. If she’s mature enough to have an abortion, then she’s mature enough to not need one.

That’s some catch, that Catch-22,’ he observed.

‘It’s the best there is,’ Doc Daneeka agreed.
Yossarian saw it clearly in all its spinning reasonableness. There was an elliptical precision about its perfect pairs of parts that was graceful and shocking, like good modern art, and at times Yossarian wasn’t quite sure that he saw it at all, just the way he was never quite sure about good modern art…”

34 Likes

Obviously, maturity has nothing to do with the court’s decision. Florida’s current law makes it illegal for women to have an abortion after the first trimester, with that effecting even mature women.

7 Likes

Lemme guess, the State is forcing the girl to carry the fetus to term specifically so they can snatch it from her the second it is born. They already decided she’s not mature enough to make her own decisions, so obviously not mature enough to be a parent. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_vomiting:

25 Likes

If she does choose to get an abortion and the courts try to try her for it, could she cite this court’s statement as a reason why she’s not “mature enough” to be tried as an adult?

28 Likes

It’s well past time to start leaving these newborns on the desks’ of the governors. Not figuratively speaking, actually leaving the conceptus on their desk.

4 Likes

As always, the cruelty is the point.

26 Likes

mature enough to decide whether to terminate her pregnancy

But mature enough to deliver and care for a child. Glad others have pointed out the clear contradiction here.

Or is the judge then going to ask child services to remove the baby, once it is born, and put it up for adoption?

FFS, this is the sort of shit Catholic nuns used to do to unmarried mothers under their care. But I guess for some of the right-wing fuckwits those were ‘the good old days’.

ETA that I see @IronEdithKidd already made much the same point.

15 Likes

I wonder if she is barred from traveling out of state for an abortion.

4 Likes

The prison system.

16 Likes

Oh, what happened in Ireland is right on top of my mind. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

13 Likes

So, forcing orphans to birth more orphans. I don’t quite follow this strategy.

2 Likes
16 Likes