Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis proud that he sent two planes of migrants to Martha's Vineyard

the part that really sickens me about di santis (and abbot, and ducey) is his apparent glee about taking these human beings, who have already suffered in their own countries and on the long trek to the border, and treating them like a containerload of trash shipped interstate to be disposed of elsewhere, to score cheap political points. i know, i know. “the cruelty is the point”. but what the fuck man. are there really that many citizens of this country that agree with some of these scumbag politicians? is that the will of the majority? it cannot be. please vote them out, it will be better for us all.

35 Likes

if only. this is a big country, land wise. but it is populated by people with small minds.

5 Likes

The immigrants themselves were told they were being transferred to Boston.

13 Likes

The cruelty is the purpose.

9 Likes

Since they all profess to be devout Christians, I’m sure that when the Thwaites Glacier breaks free in a few years – or next week – and sea level in Florida rises by a meter or so, rendering much of Florida’s population homeless refugees they will see the Divine application of the Golden Rule as as applied to their demonstrated “as you would have others do unto you.”

13 Likes

Came here to post the same thing.

It’s so depressing how easy it is these days to find case studies for all my ethics, human trafficking, and child protection trainings. :sob:

4 Likes

It’s a version of the idea that people now should have to endure something because you had to endure it, e.g. corporal punishment at school, hazing in the army, conscription, etc. Anything that takes away the cruelty that you had to suffer is unfair to you, because you are jealous of those who will be spared it rather than glad for them.

23 Likes

Cruelty is the point of many GOP policies, these days.

3 Likes

If Cyr is correct, this makes it all so much shittier. It’s one thing to ship people around as political pawns, that’s bad enough. But to increase their turmoil and uncertainty by not even giving local authorities a heads up is so unnecessarily petty and cruel.
I can’t believe it’s legal.

21 Likes

I’m part Cuban and that branch of my family has all gone weirdly pro-MAGA. It’s also insane because they’re New Yorkers who have hated and laughed at Trump for decades. Apparently they just really hate “communism” and that’s all it takes.

20 Likes

Cuban Americans have been right of center even before Elian Gonzalez, but you’re correct that this event exacerbated the general political divisiveness.

I had a friend in the late 80s who was a Cubana American and she took a holiday in Spain. She came back and said to her parents, “You know, Marx had some valid points.” She said they flipped out.

21 Likes

A big city where re-settlement support services are and might be expected to be made available. Being a right-wing populist, though, DeSantis wanted to show he was sticking it to the “librul elites” who spend the summer there (even though the season is over). It’s just the kind of empty, mean-spirited, inhumane and stupid gesture you’d expect from him.

18 Likes

Good point, and to your list, you could add the harrowing ordeal of medical school and the resistance to forgiveness of college debt.

9 Likes

“Shipping” people across state lines makes this a potential federal issue, doubly so in that it has to do with immigration. I sure hope that someone in the DOJ is looking at these moves by the MAGAsses. Something here has to be not too square.

20 Likes

yeah, totally. and it’s such a dumb concept.

we didn’t used to have fire departments, so just let my house burn down :confused:

9 Likes

or perhaps because a certain high-profile, widely revered, Democratic former president has a home there? :thinking:

22 Likes

Ah, there it is. I’m sure you’re right, which makes the gesture even more stupid.

11 Likes

I think you’re spot on. I don’t watch Fox, but CNN pointed out that Tucker Carlson suggested this in July. (Right before they went to another segment about how Biden and the WH helped negotiate a deal to avert a rail strike. :smiling_imp:) I’m sure Obama’s vacation home in MV and the overall blue of MA had a lot to do with Carlson suggestion and DeSantis’ decision.

13 Likes

Given that the planes to Martha’s Vineyard happened within a couple of days of the busloads of immigrants sent to VP Harris’s home by Governor Abbot, I absolutely believe that was a GOP strategy.

12 Likes

I learned recently that it’s a typical strategy of police depts in GA to buy homeless folks a one-way bus ticket to FL or other environs to avoid actually dealing with the homeless here. Having driven through the human hellscape that is outskirts Jacksonville, I’ve gotta assume GA cops bought the shortest/cheapest trip possible.

13 Likes