Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis proud that he sent two planes of migrants to Martha's Vineyard

This despicable act, along with this polling info, makes me so incredibly angry.

12 Likes

Pull an exactly equal number of low level but recidivist offenders from Riker’s Island or other local jail and ship them back to them. See who blinks first. I’ll take immigrants over tweakers any day.

2 Likes

face-eating leopard

7 Likes

The more things change, the more they stay the same…

22 Likes

The more I read about this, the more fucked up it is. It’s bad enough that they were dumped, having been deprived of food and water for a significant time, in this random place without anyone knowing, so there was no opportunity to provide support until after the fact, after people figured out what was going on. That’s just using human beings as pawns to score political points in the most sociopathic way possible.
That they were also apparently lied to about where they were being taken, and made false promises by DeSantis…
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1570381941714878464

And then DeSantis’ people tried to justify it… by comparing themselves to traffickers…

Well…
https://mobile.twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1570414156519723009

25 Likes

Cool cool cool.

So kidnapping is not only legal, it’s policy?

12 Likes

I mean, this fucking shit needs to be prosecuted:

Yeah, apparently (the second bit, anyways - there wasn’t anything legal about this).

Now I’m seeing Republicans trying to pull some false equivalency where they claim Biden was flying in immigrants - except what they’re pointing at was flights of unaccompanied minors who were met - and taken home - by family members, not people dropped in random places, much less people misled and dumped as if they were garbage.

16 Likes

So another case of Republicans breaking the law and getting away with it.

Not that I’m pointing out anything new but America is fucked.

There is no law and order, it’s a fantasy.

2 Likes

maybe they won’t prosecute a sitting governor ( narrator: they should ) but it’s not like he ( or abbott busing migrants to the vice president’s home ) carried it out alone. he and abbott only asked for it to be done

there’s got to be a dozen or so people they can prosecute without worrying about “wreaking norms” ( or whatever fig leaf of normalcy they’re pretending to provide )

14 Likes

… was he really a refugee, or was he abducted by his mother as part of a custody dispute :thinking:

3 Likes

Merrick Garland will no doubt be ready to file charges sometime in 2027 :roll_eyes:

12 Likes

Ron DeSantis. Governor. Asshole. Coyote.

11 Likes

These weren’t illegal immigrants. They were asylum seekers from Venezuela following the proper legal process. But as usual the cruelty is the point.

28 Likes

If he had of sent them before tourist season started he would have been thanked instead of vilified. /s
The only problem would have been where would they live. To the best of my knowledge there are no housing projects on Martha’s Vineyard.

1 Like

Conservatives just love being turds, don’t they.

That’s not even a shart in the Conservaturd Bristol Stool Chart.

6 Likes

I haven’t seen this addressed elsewhere but how did Governor DeSantis get all those people on airplanes if they didn’t have government-issued ID?

11 Likes

This story says the planes flew to Texas to pick up immigrants, it also seems to be saying those planes went from Texas to the the Florida Panhandle and then to the final destination. It’s not clear if they picked up more immigrants in Florida or if they all came from Texas. They were private planes. I wonder if the pilots committed any crimes. I wonder how Florida residents feel about using their money to go to Texas to pick up immigrants.

And then there’s this, the immigrants may have been following the law until they were convinced to break the law.

Immigration lawyers say a brochure the migrants were given about where they were going contained misleading information to set them up for failure.

“Accounts from the migrants who arrived [Wednesday] night, make it clear that they were lied to again and again and fraudulently induced to board the planes,” Rachel Self, who operates an immigration law firm in Boston, said from Martha’s Vineyard. “They were told there was a surprise present for them and that there would be jobs and housing awaiting for them when they arrived.”

“They were provided with a cartoonishly simple map of Martha’s Vineyard and the United States and a brief brochure containing snippets from the commonwealth of Massachusetts website and instructions to change their address with USCIS when they relocated,” Self said.

The attorney accused whoever provided the immigrants with the brochures of providing false information, saying the federal agency was not who the migrants would have to record their addresses with.

“This was a purposeful derailment designed to prevent people from complying with federal immigration policies,” Self said.

18 Likes

These were charter flights, no? No ID requirement. Probably didn’t even go through a TSA checkpoint.

9 Likes

Worse, they were transported across state lines without their consent. That’s human trafficking. The DoJ needs to start investigation of both the fraudulent use of COVID funds and multiple counts of human trafficking.

20 Likes

Yeah, it’s true - there’s a bunch of people who actually carried this out who have some serious legal liability here, if they can ever figure out who they are. I suspect at least some of them weren’t even government employees, so they’re completely unprotected.

10 Likes