Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis proud that he sent two planes of migrants to Martha's Vineyard

It scarcely matters as far as the policy goes. Even if we give the anti-Clinton critics the benefit of the doubt and concede that Elián Gonzales was a refugee child forcibly returned to an oppressive communist regime against his will then it’s still incredibly hypocritical for those critics to support Republican politicians for doing the same thing on a far, far greater scale.

6 Likes

This is a very important point. Current law (and also prior law before 45) states that asylum seekers must present themselves and apply for asylum within the US. There are exceptions made (such as Syrian and Afghan refugees) but immigrants from N and S America have to show up at a designated immigration facility to kick off the process.

17 Likes

Thinking about that, this whole thing is deeply bonkers in a bad way… like, these are the governors whinging about “illegals” and here they are literally flying them deep into the country just to “own the libs”… How fucking stupid can one party get?

I really hate living in this stupid timeline… It’s so stupid that if I wrote this as a sci-fi novel, no one would believe it, because it’s just too fucking stupid.

annoyed jennifer lawrence GIF

17 Likes
24 Likes

Woah. Biden needs to order the DOJ and FBI to get on this situation stat.

21 Likes

That is heartbreaking
I hope DHS fires those agents and charges them for tampering with government records.

ETA: and charges for desantis and every single other person who had a hand in this. It’s just that those DHS agents who falsified the addresses can have immediate consequences. The rest will take time

20 Likes

The Feds should seize the planes used. They were used for human trafficking. Then work backward and start charging everyone involved.

21 Likes

She is absolutely LIVID!!! As any decent person should be.

Meidas Touch and The Lincoln Project are going to have a field day with all this.

12 Likes

So according to the definition of “human trafficking,” some intention exploitation and financial benefit from the abused has to be involved. Has that happened? Or is political fundraising off of the stunt enough to qualify?

That page also mentions “personal gain” which most assuredly happened, or at least was sought (i.e. for DeSantis). It might or might not hold up in court; he was all but boasting that he was going to do it.

17 Likes

Especially influential and monied Cuban-American Floridians may still see the GOP – and not the Dems – as helpful in getting Cuba back for them. The first wave of mass immigration from Cuba included the wealthy and the professionals; they would rather have stayed and lived the lives they had there. Yes. That’s an older generation, but then there’s how they brought up their children. Cuba’s still their Holy Grail.

5 Likes

“The Florida governor told applauding supporters…”

aren’t they mostly paid staff? his conferences are all theater ( or circus i suppose )

9 Likes

Lots of information in this story.

Some of the people had appointments in Texas on Monday. Wtf.

Then there is this tidbit…

A contractor that Texas hired to bus migrants signed an agreement that prohibits them from talking to New York officials

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/migrants-flown-marthas-vineyard-moved-mainland-90017111

15 Likes

22 Likes

That is an absolutely unenforceable NDA. I can’t even, and I’m not even a lawyer.

19 Likes

I’m gonna go out on a limb, the name of the bus company is Patriot Transport.

1 Like

This contract says that they have to.

12 Likes

One of the things about this saga that really gets under my skin is how conservatives from Texas and Florida are so goddamned self-assured that “coastal elites” would be just as intolerant of migrant populations if they had do deal with large numbers of immigrants in their own states.

Something like 40 percent of the people in New York City are foreign-born (compared to 16.5 percent of Texans and 21 percent of Floridians). Progressives who live in big coastal cities aren’t less concerned about immigration because it’s an issue that only effects other states, they’re less concerned about immigration because they aren’t as xenophobic as GOP voters.

31 Likes

Came here to say that! She was pissed. off! Go get 'em, lawyer lady!

8 Likes

Commedia dell’farte

3 Likes