Florida man bought Lamborghini with COVID-19 business relief funds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/28/florida-man-bought-lamborghini.html

5 Likes

I mean, they gave a $4.6 million to the LA Lakers and a bunch of other companies worth billions. It’s possible that trusting the banks to distribute taxpayer money responsibly instead of to their largest debtors from whom they stood the most to lose if those debtors defaulted was maybe not the best idea.

But what do I know. I’m not a US Congresscritter. /s

33 Likes

Should be a good deal coming soon on a lightly used Lamborghini…

10 Likes

The CARES Act will go down in history as one of the largest government sponsored grifting operations ever.

30 Likes

Reporter: Mr President, where is the oversight going to come from.

Trump: I am the oversight.

Reporter (rest of world): Mkay.

17 Likes

I mean, there’s also the airlines that received billions in relief, and used 80% of it to buy back their own stock and STILL laid off thousands of employees, but yeah, let’s get mad at this dude (who will probably only see a few months jail-time, if that).

16 Likes

His attorney stated something to the effect that the defendant was “looking forward to telling his story,” or some bland legaltalk blah blah.

Looking at the defendant, I can only imagine that that story would begin with, “dude, check THIS out…”

3 Likes

Of course he did.

4 Likes

Nice-henhouse

20 Likes

And here I am feeling irresponsible for splurging $35 on pizza delivery with some of my $1200 stimulus money…

18 Likes

The Florida Man subspecies native to Miami is markedly different, and known to acquire expensive cars.

6 Likes

Next story: police chief in FL suddenly has a new Lambo due to asset forfeiture.

18 Likes

Our local news reported the businesses that got most of the relief funds. It was basically a list of the richest business owners in town. I can only hope that forgiveness of these loans requires some kind of financial statement indicating that what is basically welfare is being used for something other than preservation of a million dollar house and a classic car collection.

6 Likes

You can always tell by the name. The name is always the opposite.

12 Likes

That’s nothing a restaurateur here in Chicago, who lives in Colorado, bought an a mansion and a HUGE new ‘work’ truck (so you know that is a write off) and then bragged about buying it on FB, where employees could see it. Employees who are now basically out of work, sure some are collecting $$ but many are just unemployed, part timers.

9 Likes

lives in colorado but perhaps raised in florida?

1 Like

This guy is probably already fielding job offers from the trump organization.

2 Likes

Oh, it gets even better. Apparently he got caught because he called the cops to say his girlfriend had stolen his Lamborghini.

12 Likes

Didn’t I tell you not to get anything big?

9 Likes

7 Likes