Florida man goes ape over $4 bundt cake coupon, may lose $204,000 job

Yeah, to my mind it is a homemade thing. And that leads to the even more amusing term “bundt pan”.

3 Likes

He was a public official demanding special treatment from a business and throwing a fit when not getting it. Not appropriate, in my opinion.

9 Likes

Was he? Did he say something like, “don’t you know who I am?” or otherwise declare himself a person in power?

If so, then indeed he should be relieved of his position, but if he just said, “Aw, come on, it’s only 18 hours out of date - give a guy a break.” That wouldn’t be so awful.

I withhold judgement.

4 Likes

I kept trying to figure out what he actually did - it definitely seems to be something beyond asking an employee to “break the rules” (though if he did so after identifying himself as a public official, that would have been sufficient grounds for dismissal). I have no idea what he actually did, though.

4 Likes

Yes, but firing is the civil equivalent of the death penalty.

Do you think thowing a fit should be a “death penalty” offense?

It sounds like this “fit” wasn’t very severe if he wasn’t charged with any crimes, after all

2 Likes

This post is nothing but click bait without a link to something that shows (or at least describes) the allegedly apeshit behavior. Not that I’m disappointed or anything, just sayin’!

5 Likes

Yes, I think that a public official asking for special favors should be fired. The fit is just the cherry on top that confirms his unsuitability for the position that he held.

Why can’t he just punish businesses the way every other entitled prat does, by trashing them on Yelp?

2 Likes

If he asked for special favors based on his position yes that would be a problem. Would love to see a source describing that. Otherwise, the 1st Amendment protects public employees pretty strongly, it’d suck for the city to pay out on a lawsuit because they fired him w/o cause for exercising his 1A rights berating a business he didn’t get good service from.

1 Like

otoh, if he pitched a wall-eyed fit in public it might say something about his fitness for the post.

1 Like

I actually still have my original pan, but use it for better-tasting cakes. All this is making me want to bake something, once the current heatwave is over.

1 Like

Huh? Local employees tend to move to the next city or county and pick up where they left off.

Worst case, he has to wait a few years until his pension kicks in.

Civilian employees, on the other hand, tend to get blackballed from entire industries & sued to oblivion under noncompete agreements if they look for a new job after getting fired.

3 Likes

No - I hope that a single incident doesn’t get him fired - I sure as hell would like to see more people who are rude and abusive to service people get right fucked off though. I’m so sick of seeing people be assholes just because they can be, and it’s gotten 100% worse under president orange doofus. The ‘stop being politically correct’ slogan is just code for ‘let me be rude and obnoxious to everyone with no consequences’

5 Likes

Looks like he failed his original goals for this job.

From 2015

6 Likes

Ok cool. I strongly suspect there’s a chunk of boing boing that’s at some point acted out while depressed, manic, or just going through tough times. Seems weird we’re obsessed with firing someone who wasn’t racist or violent but I’m not going to stress myself out arguing over it more, not really a hill worth dying on :wink:

4 Likes

As a public official, he’s held to a slightly higher standard than the average American meathead.

3 Likes

Guys with that build tend to get hangry sometimes.

2 Likes

i’ve HAD the Nothing Bundt Cake cakes… they are pretty good. just pay full price, and go home happy

Sheesh. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In general, yes.
You do get the occasional hothead who flies an airplane into a skyscraper, though.

1 Like

Back in my day we mixed individual ingredients in a bowl to make a cake. I think I’ve used two cake mixes in my life (but I don’t live in the US where I think cake mixes are much more common).

4 Likes