Florida man pulled from flight for wearing women's underwear in lieu of a mask

And it’s always women’s underwear, because women are the frivolous, emotional ones…

Come On Reaction GIF

29 Likes

If you are going to stage a political act, do it somewhere other than the passenger seat of an airplane, wasting everyone’s time and money. You are not Rosa Parks. You are not Anne Frank. You are just An Idiot.

24 Likes

Sigmund Freud has entered the chat.

16 Likes

Just like he felt he looked perfectly fine.

Most normal people see someone with underwear on their face and look for a jacket with extra-long arms.

4 Likes

He actually is (in small part), being required to wear a mask on the ground, and then taking it off because you have beverage/food service isn’t really all that helpful. However I fully expect he is saying “so no masks!” as opposed to the safer “no food/beverage service!”

I’m not sure “future science” will have much more to say than current studies of data gathered over the corse of the pandemic. Like the ones showing transmission in a restaurant between groups way more than six feet apart while frequently sparing people closer than six feet.

Actually, sure, maybe in the future we will have a concessions view of it being a vapor spread as opposed to droplet spread (or spread by both in various combinations), and that would let us know how much various masking protocols helped or didn’t help (or hurt by making people think they are “safe” if they do X but the safety is merely a decreased chance, and feeling safe increases the number of times people take the risk…).

After all during the 1918 flu pandemic scientists (or just doctors?) thought masking was vital and it turns out it wasn’t.

(what is pretty clear is masks do significantly reduce the risk, and more so when the wearer of the mask is the person doing the spreading…which isn’t the exact message we had been promoting, originally it was that masking protects other people, not “and depending on the mask also helps the wearer”; maybe if we had announced that more nuanced information the people who don’t care about others would at least care about themselves)

And hopefully did not get refunds.

11 Likes

By chance? Riiiiiiight! :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, but this is only a portion of the trip, and only if you choose to take the snack service. Any amount of time spent masking up while stuck in a small container with other folks during a pandemic is more efficient use than no masks at all. :man_shrugging:

I don’t feel this passenger is thinking about how exposure over time is how most folks wind up sick.

7 Likes

14 Likes

Yeah, I mean:

he was previously booted off a Delta flight for the same thing

How was he not already on such a list?

11 Likes

You don’t have to wait for future science - the work has already been done. COVID spreads primarily through aerosols, rather than droplets. That means the six-feet rule only helps a little. What matters is how long you spend in an indoor environment in which infected people have been, and how quickly the air in that space is circulated and filtered, using the appropriate fine particle filters. And plexiglass screens usually make things worse, because they impede the airflow for circulation and filtration. It also means the only truly effective mask is a properly fitted N95 or better. Surgical masks and double layer cloth masks are really only helpful in low risk environments.

See for example:
https://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/its-not-just-sars-cov-2-most-respiratory-viruses-spread-aerosols

ETA: Unless you meant future science on the effectiveness of panties as masks. I don’t think those studies have been done.
ETA 2: This was supposed to be in response to @CongenitalOptimist’s post. Sorry!

6 Likes

Last I checked, Delta airlines wanted to share lists. The other airlines refused. :woman_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

Apropos…

Also…

2 Likes
5 Likes

Clearly… the Republican Party will run this guy for the Senate… and possibly Vice President, if former creepy orange crotch-grabber-and-loser-in-chief decides to get his ass kicked once again in 2024.

2 Likes

“And everybody clapped at the Brave Marine

Yeah right buddy.

Even if it is Florida, the fascists aren’t going to throw themselves on your personal grenade.

1 Like

That’s it! I meant that not vapors. Honest!

Interesting, I saw a lot of studies that showed various levels of effectiveness from different mask types/materials. I have a bunch of uncomfortable N95-knockoffs which I am not trained in proper use of, nor are they fitted to me as opposed to “mass produced”. I also have cloth masks with a replaceable filter which I tend to use because it is comfortable. I also have a reusable N95 with one way vents I had from before the pandemic (I use it with my laser cutter) that I used until I found out the one way vents meant I wasn’t protecting anyone else even a little.

I remember the clear takeaway was the N95 was somewhat more effective at preventing the spread to others, but also the only mask that significantly reduced the risk to the wearer. I also remember neck gators made from several materials were statistically distinct from nothing at all, but were basically useless.

I think that study was pre-delta. So maybe it was right at the time and your is right now, or maybe one of us misunderstood the details and they mean the same thing, or maybe two studies show two different things and we really need to see a few dozen studies to get a real view of things!

It’s all good.

2 Likes

Right? Have to remember this the next time I’m stuck in the middle seat on an 8 hour flight.

1 Like

If the underwear in question was functionally equivalent to a typical consumer mask, and if he was quietly wearing it the whole time, then IMO it would be better to ignore him and let his choice to wear panties on his head speak for itself.

Those are big “ifs” though. Something tells me if the airline hadn’t taken the bait, he’d have found a way to escalate his obnoxiousness.

2 Likes

How do these gentlemen get through the departure gate? Surely stopping them before they get on the plane is less disruptive to the passengers who are prepared to do what they can for their fellows?

3 Likes