Man kicked off flight for wearing gas mask

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/01/man-kicked-off-flight-for-wear.html

3 Likes

He wanted to make a statement, but what it actually sounded like was, “Wah wah-wah wah wah wah wah-wah”.

45 Likes

This headline is a little confusing. Although he was wearing a gas mask, the other passengers mistook that scarf for a keffiyeh and assumed he was a Muslim, leading to a high level of discomfort.

I kid, of course, but if he didn’t have the mask on, it’s a likely outcome.

6 Likes

Well, a mask, a khaffieya, and a stocking cap, and all in black.

There is quite possibly the chance that this was a situation involving that-which-shall-not-be-mentioned-on-boingboing. He was possibly having a bad day shall we say.

3 Likes

I wonder if he even realized there was no filter? I’ve seen people wearing filter-less “surplus” gas masks before and I think at least some people buy them thinking they are complete.

13 Likes

People shopping in army surplus stores are often missing things.

24 Likes

Should have gone with this. Appears much less threatening.

In the immediate years post-9/11, I really thought we were headed for a scenario where, pre-flight, you put all your clothes, shoes, and personal items in a bin and have to put on an airline-issued jumpsuit to wear for the duration of the flight. I wonder if the powers that be ever discussed that.

11 Likes

The statement was “I am an attention whore. Pay attention to my edginess!!!”

19 Likes

15 Likes

It would have made him as unintelligible as pilot/controller communications.

2 Likes

A lot of old filters had asbestos, or other FDS, especially Soviet ones. So, probably just as well that it’s missing.

https://www.militaria-history.co.uk/articles/gas-mask-dangers/

10 Likes

Hmmm, where in the hell is that gas mask?

2 Likes

So, if there had been a filter, there wouldn’t be a panic?

Really don’t blame this person - there isn’t any law against wearing protection against anti-vaxxers’ attitudes - how ridiculous are we willing to get in this dispute?

Air travel has become a cattle car experience anyway. What little protection anyone has is limited to their personal space. Who cares what anyone wears anymore?

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure that ‘statement’ was: “I’m having a few cognitive issues.”

2 Likes

If you want to “train” as if you were at high altitude, you have two choices.

Bane.
shopping
Weird.

2 Likes

Maybe he was looking for his mummy.

13 Likes

I would want him off the plane too. Who know what the white spy had planned for him.

12 Likes

“Just FYI flight 2212 to Houston was delayed an hour because you let this guy on the plane wearing a gas mask.”

Seems a bit on the nose blaming the airline for the debacle. The flight wasn’t delayed by a lack of preemptive exclusion of weirdos; it was delayed because other passengers were a pants-pissing pack of morons who felt that being a mob freed them of the obligation to mind their own feckin businesses.

14 Likes

M**sture?

3 Likes

Did he have to pass though TSA?

“What’s this?”
“My gas mask.”
“Oh, okay. You’re clear.”

3 Likes