Florida Pastor arrested after encouraging people to come to church in person during the coronavirus lockdown

You brought this gem about communion wafers to mind:

5 Likes

Here’s another greasy church leader doing the same thing. Note in the attached post -

“We encourage everybody to share this FB live post …this is just the beginning of what the government can do when people do not stand in solidarity for our constitutional rights …”

3 Likes

Constitutional scholars these Jesus grifters are not. Don’t appear to be very good biblical scholars, either.

10 Likes

Yeah. Aren’t they supposed to put a mark in lamb’s blood above the door, go inside and lock up, and don’t come out until the plague has passed?

11 Likes

Well I do, but I’m not at risk for believing Coronavirus conspiracy theories.

I mean, we can moralize and lawyer about it, but this isn’t actually helpful. Yes, this dude is doing the wrong thing in more ways than one, and he’s pretty awful for it. Yes, you’re probably right that his arrest will be legally upheld. But the goal here isn’t to punish our cultural enemies, it’s to flatten the curve…right?

You might be shocked to see how many people are ready to believe some version of this guy’s narrative. Those beliefs, when spread, cause those people to put themselves and others in danger. We should definitely be finding ways to get those people to not want to do that, but a strong-arm police approach just makes things worse by provoking rebellion*.

* except in an already-authoritarian state like China - which an awful lot of Americans are looking longingly at these days.

Pray in their closets, as their most outward expression of their beliefs.

5 Likes

I would never publicly advocate for anyone to do illegal things… but this seems like a clear cut sitation where some careful, discreet arson might end up ultimately saving a lot of lives. The legal doctrine defense of necessity would pretty clearly apply.

But (obviously) I am not a lawyer, go get your own.

Not helpful. OK. So…what are we supposed to do? You have a person in power, whose adherents will eagerly do what he says, because they’re being handed the ultimate carrot, and threatened with the ultimate stick. And this person is willing to put lives at risk to not have their source of money interrupted. Should we just hand out copies of “God Is Not Great” and wash our hands of it? You don’t need to tell me how many religious people there are in the world. But if you think the best way to handle a clear and present danger is by trying to argue people out of mystical thinking, I have bad news for you.

4 Likes

His arrest is not to “punish our cultural enemies” it’s to flatten the curve… They specifically ignored orders to not have gatherings of large numbers of people. In an emergency such as this where public health is on the line, they state has the right to enforce such orders. Him hold services is a violation to that order. Full stop.

He’s going to get people killed. We’ve seen this were places like churches have refused to shut down because they can’t wrap their heads around the first amendment and believe it tells them that they can do literally whatever they want and claim “first amendment”… well, that’s not the case with regards to religion.

No one is telling them to stop believing in god or to stop being Christians. they are not an oppressed minority being thrown to the lions here. The pastor in question is a threat to public health, a threat to others. That was why he was arrested.

8 Likes

Another country, but I think a month ago is further away:

4 Likes

That’s the one from a while ago? Didn’t the pastor at least apologize? I seem to remember something about that.

1 Like

Not exactly a pastor. It’s Yet Another pseudo-christian cult where the leader is their deity. (Might you, some of those megachurches…)

Lee decided to speak to reporters after Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon filed a lawsuit against Shincheonji’s top brass “for murder, injury, and violation of prevention and management of infectious diseases,” CNBC reported.

4 Likes

Every Christian church should be disinfected & readied to be a triage center.

1 Like

You brought to mind a new way to distribute communion wafers in a time on social distancing…

:thinking:

2 Likes

If they take their commitment to service seriously, they will.

5 Likes

It was part of their gospel for 2000 years to care for the sick.

Almost all branches of Christianity… except for this current crop of prosperity gospel assholes. I just don’t think they are the majority of Christians.

3 Likes

I can hear his sermon:
“…I want you to PRAY  to Jesus for a BIG  R0…”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.