Florida reports a massive surge in new covid-19 cases

We don’t yet have a picture of the rates of long-term illness or disability as a result of Covid 19. I’m only beginning to see articles speculating that some people might be facing a long recovery and some people might not actually recover from the illnesses they have months after first contracting the disease.

Honestly I’m hoping more of this information can come out because some people might actually be more scared of suffering and illness than of death. Perhaps it will help get some people on board.

Frankly though, I have no idea how containment would even work with infection levels where they are now.

2 Likes

Without regard for actual people and suffering for a moment, I’m really interested to see how this year’s Covid affects next year’s total death rates compared to the expected numbers. I’d like to know the likelihood that someone is going to trot out the “these people were going to die anyway” argument if the death rate is lower.

This also hurts because as a kid in pre-Disney Florida, I used to go to places like Ginnie, Ichetucknee, Manatee, etc. because they were fairly empty, and a nice way to chill out in nature. Looks like those days are long gone.

4 Likes

Those days are gone.
Just like the dying coral reef down here. And there are no more places not choked with tourists ravishing already endangered natural resources and bringing the virus down to the Keys. Miami is closing the beaches over the 4 July holiday, yet Monroe has not. So where will tens of thousands of indifferent, maskless beach going partiers go? Only an hour’s drive south and they’re here.
Monroe County needs to block the US1 again to non-residents. A very unfortunate development for the tourist business, like fishing/ diving charters, hotels, dive shops, etc,
but it is not safe to open to mass tourism yet!

7 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think I’d ever seen Ginnie Springs this packed before, even on the 4th of July.

3 Likes

FTFY.

Argh, I am going out to mow the community greensward now in the Texas heat. Getting chewed alive by chiggers, mosquitoes and fire ants, while sweating profusely and being poked by cacti, greenbriar and goatshead is preferable to contemplating what passes for America’s collective future.

13 Likes

I took my kids down the island I grew up on and we gathered a washtub full of scollops. Someone stopped by and said it’s not scollop season and every one we picked up was a felony! It never occurred to me that there was a season for such things! A necessary change due to overuse I know, but as a kid, my mom would shoo me out the door in the morning and tell me to bring dinner home. Too bad that lifestyle couldn’t last. Maybe some of that will creep back in if everyone has to become more isolated.

5 Likes

If you are on the Gulf side, up where scallops are usually abundant (and when in season) I would still be very wary of ingesting them. The unabated raw sewage, nitrogen supercharged green algae and the way those factors (along with record water temps due to climate change) combine to cause unprecedented red tide blooms that render such shellfish toxic.
And watch out for “flesh eating” bacteria in those waters up there. Nasty.

7 Likes

No, that’s not how it’s supposed to happen, and it’s not what happened in other more “enlightened” countries, such as *checks notes* China and Italy.

We flattened the curve at a huge number, it stayed flat never really dropping, and now it’s spiked back up again.

We just fucked it all up.

17 Likes

Just got finished mowing the MIL’s yard, same situation only VA heat, trying to beat the rain.

5 Likes

OK, place your bets:

Which state will be the first to attempt to close its borders, and when?

My bet: Hawaii. Around Labor Day.

We were talking about this happening on Boing Boing when they first announced their early opening initiative. Hard to believe that was only a couple of months ago. Okay more like 11 weeks or so. Sometimes I hate when I’m right.

1 Like
1 Like

He’ll have a chance to get creative with prison hooch.

I heard this in the professor’s voice.
Thank you for that.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.