Florida Republican leader calls for ban on opposition political parties

19 posts were split to a new topic: Legal slavery

And they said that it couldn’t happen here.

23 Likes

Although, on its face, this is kinda hilarious, I am more than a little frightened by it. I have no faith in the current USSC to strike this fascist BS down, and if it passes, it sets a model for all the other deep red states to “end the woke fascism” in their jurisdiction as well. It should be funny. Sigh…

23 Likes

The piece is paywalled so I haven’t read it, but the phrase “like the hemisphere’s evil regimes” suggests that the author is trying to reach right wing Cubans, Venezuelans and Brazilians, etc. (of which there are plenty in Florida) who would not object to a one-party state as long as it was run by their party.

13 Likes

That can’t be Reich. I did Nazi that coming.

12 Likes

How is allowing the party in power to outlaw the party(s) currently not in power any different than concluding that the current vice-president can curtail the counting of (electoral college) votes? “If the vote is against me, then it was fraudulent.” The wonderment is that all these forms of “if it’s heads I win, if it’s tails you lose” aren’t immediately rejected in the (non-fox) media and society at large.

20 Likes

If it came to it (let’s really hope it does not) they ought to rename as “The Republican Opposition” - that would certainly confuse most knee-jerk ignorant Repugnicon voters.

15 Likes

In Soviet Florida, election vote you

13 Likes

Dougie Payne Doctor GIF by Travis

11 Likes

well, sure. Fabiola Santiago is described by her bio as “…A Cuban refugee child of the Freedom Flights…”

Reading the dangerous gobbledygook contained in Ingoglia’s bill is an exercise similar to interpreting Cuba’s repressive laws, where the bureaucratic entwining of edicts achieves the goal of making the repression look reasonable to the outside world.

here’s one of those paywall free archives.

https://archive.is/AucsM

8 Likes

I’ve always seen that cartoon in my mind with the Keys staying right where they are and the citizens of the Conch Republic waving bye-bye to the rest of the state from the dock at Pennecamp State Park.

12 Likes

this is about as ridiculous as conservative Christians who, in their fight against sharia law, demand MORE separation of church and state.
of course we all know that they want more laws based upon Christianity.

5 Likes

[/s I kind of hope this ban goes through.] Then California can cite it as precedent when they ban the Republican party for inciting insurrection on January 6th (under a broad interpretation of section 3 of the 14th Amendment.)

In the 2020 presidential election Democrats raised $221 million in California according to the FEC. Imagine if they didn’t have to spend nearly so much money on their presidential candidate in California and could shift that to states that were more closely contested. The $46 million they raised in Florida could also be spent elsewhere.

5 Likes

With millions in dark money being flung around for stacking SCOTUS with right-wingers… anything is possible.

(excerpt) [Leornard] Leo reaped a $1.6 billion windfall from a single donor in what is likely the biggest single political gift in U.S. history."

17 Likes

Some years back, the GOP was urging all its members to call their main opposition the Democrat Party and not the Democratic Party. The reasoning was obvious.

19 Likes

I think that Leonard Leo needs his yachts, his private planes, his wine cellars, and his multiple luxury homes. He represents the interest of billionaires, and it is to their ultimate benefit that he immerses himself in the lifestyle, before he commits a single dime towards political causes. It may take years of becoming accustomed to living like a rich fuckwad before he can truly understand their plight.

13 Likes

Oddly enough, I don’t recall ever hearing a Democrat deny that the party did endorse slavery for 20 years … in the mid 1800’s. The key here is that they do not do so now, nor have they for 159 years! (So x8 the time they were on the pro-slavery side of that balance sheet.) I will, of course, fully acknowledge that not every Democrat registered in the party as of 1865 sudden became anti-slavery, so I will fully support disenfranchising those specific individual Democratic members.

My grandfather repaired planes in World War II. My dad was an alcoholic for the majority of his life. I don’t drink alcohol at all, nor can I rewire a damaged Grumman G-21 Goose. It’s almost like people who share my last name, even with a direct link from one to another, aren’t the same people and are individuals or something. Weird.

Edit: Corrected “not” to “now”.

29 Likes

Fine, let’s call them on their bluff: the Patriot Party.

21 Likes

Demographic Party, although that would probably go over their heads.

14 Likes

Team America? Or The party of the Republic? LOL either will twist their panties. I can’t believe we have to take this shit seriously. Someone please run the entire Florida GOP over, specifically with an EV just to make a point. The more time passes the more I just use it out. Between AI and republicans the world will end.

7 Likes