Florida Republican leader calls for ban on opposition political parties

The E Pluribus Unum Party. Too busy, though…

The People’s Party? Nope. Sounds too communist. :wink:

6 Likes

I’d say it’s the other way round; the scoffing was always because they’re invested in these things being decided by themselves and not you.

August commentators are happy to deplore each individual bit of fascism, in tones just as grave as they’d use for foreign dictators. But when you call it fascism – when you speak as though a conclusion has been reached, calling for action more than words – you’re cutting short their Olympian deliberations, and should probably be executed for lèse-majesté.

For the pundit class and their online Renfields, rhetoric is the only game that matters. It is better to be an esteemed voice of reason in hell than just some bozo with an opinion in heaven.

5 Likes

Popular People’s Front?

14 Likes

That is so on brand for Florida with Governor Ronald Dion DeSantis in charge.

7 Likes

Republi-cants.

That will confuse Republican voters and express how we feel about them.

8 Likes

There is an expression,
“Lawmakers may swear on the Bible to uphold the Constitution, but they don’t swear on the Constitution to uphold the Bible”

10 Likes

Right wing commentators are apt to label the democrats as fascists, as if a nazi was merely a martinet who spoke German.

5 Likes

Splitters!

5 Likes

Well given TFG’s penchant for describing himself as an expert on nuclear based on having an uncle who is I think we can extrapolate that the Republic party (that doesn’t believe in republics - anti democratic theocracies are the antithesis of republics) does believe we magically are our ancestors.

See also: they are not racist or sexist because the Republican Party was at one point the more progressive. Not now obviously. But what you do, say, or think don’t matter, just who you are (wink).

11 Likes

I’d point out the irony of a former confederate state wanting to dissolve any political party that was at any time in favor of slavery, but it is Florida so…

9 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but back in the old days, the Democratic party was controlled by conservatives and the Republican party was made up of progressives. Someone has to have told this dummy about this. Probably said, “Fake news.”

5 Likes

Yup, which is why this bill so so dumb. I said “party currently known as Democrats” for this reason. I wouldn’t be surprised if he knows this but is conveniently ignoring the fact that it was his people who were the problem back then, same as always. Conservatives try to claim Lincoln too, since his party was called Republican at the time.

13 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.