Florida republicans looking to exact revenge on Disney are headed towards a serious FAAFO moment

Time for a Disney park in Texas.

1 Like

So, the OTHER state passing discriminatory laws aimed at vulnerable populations and making stupid decisions on social issues that will wreck their eocnomy? :woman_shrugging:

36 Likes

Disney is a dreadful damn company – but DeSantis is a goddamn wannabe Nazi, so to hell with him. I hope Disney demolishes him and the Republicans.

15 Likes

Don’t forget wrecking the environment, too. Credit where credit is due.

Frustrated Christine Baranski GIF

24 Likes

IIRC, this is why Apple didn’t open a facility in Round Rock (Williamson Co.), TX. (Though it was “no tax break”, not “extra tax”.) That was almost 30 years ago, though; I imagine Dell et al have similar policies and they’ve been in or near there for years.

13 Likes

Somebody needs to start an advertising campaign that says, out loud, that GQP states are happy to make the best and brightest corporate employees move to places without their hatefully medieval GQP social policies. Because it’s abso-fucking-lutely true.

It’s time to kneecap these crazy states’ economies. Let 'em rot.

13 Likes

I’m picturing Mickie and Minnie reaching for flamethrowers. Not sure where that image is coming from, but it’s up in the ol’ noggin.

4 Likes

Yep dunno about Florida but this is already how it works here. And then companies can pass those taxes on in the form of lower wages and reduced benefits. Win win.

10 Likes

I live in Florida, and I’m hopeful that this time DeSantis and the TGOP in the state legislature have, shall we say, stepped hard on their own dicks. It may play well to the base to go after the largest company in the state for ridiculously false reasons, but it won’t help them collect campaign money, it won’t get them more votes that the deluded ones that they already get, and it will cost the state hugely in lost revenue if they somehow succeed.

This will end badly for all concerned, and all because DeSantis wants to be TFG’s mini-me.

20 Likes
30 Likes

Which ones? Gobi? Mojave?

3 Likes

Disney has better lawyers. Lots and lots of very good lawyers and the money to hire more.
I don’t think this will end well for the taxpayers, who will ultimately foot the bill. I can only hope it drags desantis down too

24 Likes

I’m sure they’ll be devastated to hear that.

18 Likes

Gov. Polis:

20 Likes

I mean, I’m all for this in principle. The RCID is objectively evil and should be dissolved. However, it’s weird to see Florida Republicans taking such a hard line against it. It’s basically a libertarian profit-driven quasi-government with zero oversight. Shouldn’t Republicans love this kind thing?

21 Likes

Unfortunately, win or lose, he gets credit for “fighting the good fight” with his fellow haters.

2 Likes

FL Legislature put a target on the backs of LGBQT+ people and now they are taking aim at the target.

11 Likes

Gotta say, there’s only one thing that could possibly entice me to visit Florida, should I be fortunate enough to have the funds available to be able to travel to America, and that’s the NASA Space Centre.

8 Likes

giphy

4 Likes

Better hurry up before it’s owned outright by SpaceX. I enjoyed my tour of the Kennedy Space Center but the guide on the bus spent a lot of time talking in glowing terms about all the work that SpaceX was doing there, leasing launch pads, building new facilities and such.

6 Likes