Florida republicans looking to exact revenge on Disney are headed towards a serious FAAFO moment

what is meant by FAAFO?

1 Like

scroll up to comment 18

13 Likes

Donald Duck and a welding torch close enough?

Pato Donald

7 Likes

What kills me is the GOP thinks they can write laws for just one company. This is never good. Businesses need fair,even, and most importly predictable enforcement, not this crap. When the GOP went after tech companies, Disney got a special exception, because it makes sense that social media sites can kick off users who violate the terms of service if they, uh, checks notes, own a theme park. Trump didn’t like Apple and was going to force them to make their phones in the US, but let Samsung do whatever they want. It’s crazy that the GOP thinks they are better at business.

15 Likes

they’re not. they don’t care about it one way or another. desantis very clearly said they are attacking disney because disney came out against the “dont say gay” law

this is just the easiest attack they could think of. if there was some other way to damage disney, they’d have done that instead

they’re trying to show they will hurt any person, company, or institution that opposes them. it has nothing to do with reedy creek at all

20 Likes

Disney not only has better lawyers and more of them, they have enough money that they probably could hire most if not all of the private investigators in the state of Florida. Unless DeSantis has the wardrobe that leads to Narnia in his bedroom, they could dig deep enough to exhume all the skeletons in his closet and air all his dirty laundry.

Would it be enough to turn the hard-core cultists of Trump against him? Probably not.

Would it be enough to make him toxic to everyone but those hard-core cultists? Maybe.

16 Likes

Will that really help?

51GG1J0SHEL.AC

7 Likes

Oh I realize this completely. It’s just one of those weird cases where the desired results align (abolish RCID), but the rationales behind those reasons are completely at odds.

Rational concerns about the District include it’s quasi-governmental unregulated status that has been abused repeatedly to acquire tens of thousands of acres of tax-free land to do what they want with, literally make their own laws, tax their residents with money going into Disney coffers in an inscrutable closed loop, and destroy the local environment replacing it with an artificial eco system based on a predetermined aesthetic.

Republicans just want to punish Disney for having the nerve to market to the “wrong kind” of people. (Which of course flies in the face of their supposed light government and free enterprise pillars — but they have long since cared about hypocrisy when it’s on their side.)

16 Likes

Some of the points you make are quite valid but I’m not sure that the “residents” of the district are paying a lot of taxes. There aren’t very many of them and they’re hand-picked by the company.

13 Likes

The GQP sure are hitting new lows. Making Disney, of all MNCs, out to be the good guys is quite a feat! If Floriduh qons were to FAAFO, I’d really hate to see it.
michael jackson mj GIF

4 Likes

Next.

5 Likes

Not even as a Disney animated movie? :rofl:

3 Likes

One of the side effects of removing Disney’s self governance will be the fact that the bond debt used to pay for the district will immediately become due, to the tune of one billion dollars-ish. This will have to be paid by all of the households in the affected counties, as an additional property tax.
That amounts to about $2800 for every household, per this article: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2022/04/20/special-district-bill-will-leave-orange-osceola-taxpayers-with-disney-debt-democrats-say/
Can’t wait to see how they sweep this one under the rug…

10 Likes

It’s official: the bill got approved by both houses of the Florida legislature and is headed to the Governor’s desk:

11 Likes

A Disney theme park with guns? Survey says: Yeeha!

1 Like

The real shenanigans that the Disney sideshow is a distraction for.

Could Doug Ford please do that in Ontario? I have a high-gain antenna just begging for a situation like that.

11 Likes

Holy crap that was pretty fast for a state legislature. I bet they never moved this quickly on a bill designed to actually help people.

19 Likes

I just saw this detail that might give Disney a strong legal argument against the forced dissolution. Unless the new law explicitly overturns this statute, I guess. Legal fights are a certainty either way.

14 Likes

I’m guessing that Fla lawmakers are aware of this. In fact, they may be counting on it. That way they get to do all the posturing, without the negative affects of being successful.

14 Likes

"FL legislators admit they didn’t even check the ramifications."

19 Likes