Florida republicans looking to exact revenge on Disney are headed towards a serious FAAFO moment

OK, I gave them too much credit. They’re stupider than I thought.

ETA:

“The Villages” is a similar “district.” So, I guess if ever the Dems control both houses and the governorship, it’s open season?

17 Likes

I know the situation is very complicated, but I’d love to see Disney just pull up stakes and move everything to California.

16 Likes

I’ve got friends who work for Disney Imagineering who are very hopeful that this may scuttle the current plans to relocate Imagineering headquarters from its historic Glendale CA location to Florida. A lot of people didn’t want to make the move even before all the recent discriminatory legislation.

18 Likes

Yup.

12 Likes

No surprise Orange and Osceola Counties have high POC populations.

via Statistical Atlas

And Blue too.

18 Likes

I don’t think the Mouse is going to mess around on this one. This is the biggest challenge to them in a while. If deathsantis thinks he can challenge a multi-billion Corp. with top-end lawyers on call 24/7, he has a seriously inflated opinion of himself. Let 'er rip, potato chip!

4 Likes

Wouldn’t happen, but it’s a nice thought.

19 Likes
23 Likes

IF they show courage at all…

4 Likes

Disney may well choose to enjoy their new tax situation.

7 Likes

There might be insurance side-effects if they don’t have their own fire and police departments, especially if the counties aren’t up for picking up the tab.

4 Likes

I would not put it past MoRon to order Fire and Rescue to not respond to calls in “that place where the groomers go.” Having people suffer and die would make whatever is taking up the space where the rest of us have a heart happy.

16 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see DeStankis arguing to overturn Citizens United when this gets to the Supreme Court.

19 Likes

Shocked The Kid Mero GIF by Desus & Mero

15 Likes

Interesting point by a local op-ed:

Are the Villages next?

Vote goes against Disney | April 22

The Village Community Development Districts are special purpose districts under Florida law. I think it’s time for The Villages community to lose its “special” district status since it would only be fair to the rest of us Floridians to have the GOP-heavy Villages district share in our tax misery.

Pete Barton, St. Petersburg

19 Likes

Only certain corporations aren’t people?

4 Likes

“Back home.” And, they have the Fujishige Strawberry Farm to expand into. Although they’ve probably used up that land by now.

4 Likes

The legal maneuvers they used in past decades to try to force that sale were pretty ugly, but apparently the final agreement was acceptable to the family.

The land has mostly been used for parking for many years. They do have vague plans to do something new with it per the concept art they presented to the city a little while back:

That said, all the roughly 500 acres they own in Anaheim doesn’t come anywhere close to the 25,000 acres they own in Florida.

2 Likes

Beau lays out a few reasons why that possibility isn’t unfathomable.

8 Likes

Except in dollar value.

7 Likes