Florida woman taken to hospital with shark still attached

Well, being crooked does seem to preclude being even.

4 Likes

Touché!

Do nurse sharks even have real teeth?
I wonder what she had to do to get it to ‘bite’ her.

1 Like

It would have made an even better story if she had left the shark attached.

4 Likes

“Florida Shark Rides Mammal To Inland Health Facility.”

11 Likes

Despite what the spokesperson said it’s actually not unique for nurse sharks to chomp onto someone like a pit bull. They’re relatively sluggish and are often found resting on the bottom. I don’t know what happened here but typically a diver has harassed them only to discover they’re not so sluggish after all.

4 Likes

I hope this will not lead to open season on vulnerable nurse shark populations. (I assume they’re probably vulnerable for some reason or another.)

Between nurse sharks typically being seen as harmless types who don’t attack people and the description of the shark as somehow already dead when they arrived to treat her, I think we can read between the lines here. That poor woman is going to be shambling and moaning for braaaaains any moment now.

1 Like

“We’re gonna need a smaller boat.”

11 Likes

On the news this morning they said that a bunch of people had been harassing the shark – grabbing the tail, etc

I always thought that the nurse shark just had solid plates or something instead of teeth

..and have very strong jaws filled with thousands of tiny, serrated teeth, and will bite defensively if stepped on or bothered by divers who assume they’re docile.
3 Likes

Came here to see this. Pretty hard to get a nurse shark to bite you, but apparently they can. Sucks that the shark died, but I’m kinda glad that it got at least a last chunk at one of the tormentors. IT’S A BLOODY SHARK PEOPLE (regardless of size), Do not taunt happy fun shark!

9 Likes

Rows of nubs is what they look like, apparently. I’d say; “latched on” might be a more apt description. If it was a creature that could actually bite, I’m sure it would spit her out.

Shark be like,

"So I was watching this remora I knew, right?

And they seem to have a pretty good deal, they don’t have to hunt and everyone is scared of their shark, right?

So I was, like, all I need to do is find an apex predator that’s bigger than me and, like, latch the fuck on?

Free Ride here I come, right?

How the fuck was I to know she was going to LEAVE THE OCEAN?!? Who the fuck ever does that?!!"

9 Likes

Surely the tinfoil hats would conduct the lightning.

2 Likes

Oh, you caught that.

1 Like

That shark has attachment issues.

2 Likes

The interesting part is, keeping the shark attached probably made the injury less severe. Nothing like pulling the penetrating “thing” (knife/teeth/barb/whatever) out to make a wound worse! Do it in a hospital environment! Steve Irwin could have survived IF they did not remove the barb from his chest. (Could. Not WOULD. Could)

Oh, that makes more sense. Nurse sharks are so small that attacking a human just doesn’t add up otherwise.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, the shark died quickly.

I wouldn’t call them “nubs” exactly:

3 Likes