Flying Spaghetti Monster hate mail

I meant to say Revelations sounds like some mystic vision stuff. Maybe it’s just code. Whatever it is… It reads like a trip report.

Marijuana is the safer hallucinogen to start with for most people. My only advice regarding acid.

2 Likes

That’s brilliant!!! Is that a saying?!

1 Like

Oh, I’m a fan of weed. I wouldn’t call it an hallucanigen though.

2 Likes

And yeah! Hanging out and singing about God for all eternity… I sadly don’t see the appeal. Maybe that’s what God’s all about, in the end.

A choice.

Would you rather burn in a pit for all eternity or sit through an endless church service.

O.o

C?

2 Likes

John Oliver used it on Last Week Tonight last year. But if you Google “EULA Christians”, you’ll find it used on Reddit and elsewhere for the last decade.

2 Likes

That’s where the torture comes in.

1 Like

Actually, I think that was in the first draft of Martin Luther’s theses. If you think you might end up precipitating a Thirty Year War, you don’t fuck about.

1 Like

That’s commonly called Pascal’s Wager.

Based on the assumption that the stakes are infinite if God exists and that there is at least a small probability that God in fact exists, Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas they stand to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell).

Of course, most religions promise hellfire if you don’t believe in their specific religion, usually their sect of their religion. One’s religion is most often a function of geography. An Alabama Cristian born instead in Jordan or Indonesia would likely be thumping a different holy book to make the same points about a different religion with the same level of faith.

And Christian beliefs are very different than in Christ’s time, with lots of edits, stories and beliefs added and suppressed over the following few centuries.

So even believing in God, you’ll probably lose the wager regardless.

3 Likes

I turned 30 this past month. (Yay?) I’ve discovered that adulthood is exactly the same as childhood in the sense that you want basically the same things, but no one is going to stop you from doing and saying stupid shit.

6 Likes

Childhood is where you don’t know that you don’t know everything. Adolescence is the period where you come to realize that you do know everything. Adulthood is the realization that you actually do not know everything and never will.

7 Likes
1 Like

If mental illness is a disqualifer you’re going to have to throw out a good chunk of the Bible too. Does John the Revelator sound sane to you? Revelation reads like one of those schizophrenic handwritten screeds with no line spacing. Amos? Jeremiah? They’re those wild-eyed New Yorker cartoon guys wearing sandwich boards about End Times. Abraham was about to murder his son because a voice in his head told him to. His nephew Lot offered up his virgin daughters to be gang-raped by an angry mob in order to protect a couple of complete strangers. Half the guys in the Old Testament are hallucinating at least some of the time.

So that guy may want to re-evaluate his standards of authority.

1 Like

Keep in mind that Darwin being “insane” is just something the desperately religious like to tell themselves, similar to “there’s absolutely no evidence for evolution.”

It’s clear that Darwin had mental health issues. Historians have said that he suffered from agoraphobia, and today we’d probably say instead that he suffered from depression. But “insane?” No.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.