Follow-up

It does seem like the change was specifically to appease the bigots.

4 Likes

4 Likes

i mean, yes: they are considering making a change because of bigots. ( they seem to be somewhat naive about the whole thing, believing those are genuine requests from interested players. )

but they aren’t changing the focus of the game, and they might not ultimately make any changes at all. so the premise of the article is wrong

1 Like

nice of the ap not to mention the person that the police killed. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

The “Stop Cop City” effort has gone on for more than two years and at times has veered into vandalism and violence, with protesters having been accused of throwing rocks and Molotov cocktails at law enforcement officers.

3 Likes

That’s awful… She’s in at least 2 of my favorite films from the late 80s/early 90s… Heather’s and Mallrats.

heathers well crucify her GIF

8 Likes

By now we’ve noted several times how the folks most vocally calling for a nationwide TikTok ban are putting on a dumb performance designed to distract you from our lack of competent internet privacy laws and our complete unwillingness to regulate the sleazy data broker space.

As in, banning TikTok doesn’t actually fix much because the real problem goes much, much deeper than one app. There’s an absolute ocean of international telecoms, app makers, services, and others collecting torrents of sensitive health, location, and browsing data, then selling access to that feebly “anonymized” (a pointless term) data to a parade of sleazy and completely unaccountable data brokers.

That data, in turn, is available for US lawmakers looking to dodge warrants, or international intelligence agencies keen on spying on or manipulating Americans. A TikTok ban doesn’t actually fix much of anything because the broader ecosystem is leaky and rotten, overseen by regulators industry has spent decades defunding and lobotomizing in an endless quest for fatter revenues.

Interestingly enough, many of the same state politicians that have suffered absolute embolisms over supposed TikTok privacy issues, have state government websites that continue to funnel data to TikTok three years into this seemingly endless moral panic.

Take Missouri, home of insurrectionist sprinter Josh Hawley, who has attempted to ban TikTok in the pretense he cares about consumer privacy. It has a COVID site with numerous trackers continually providing TikTok with browsing, and potentially, visitor health data:

4 Likes
7 Likes

Give Up Conan GIF by Team Coco

7 Likes

Another reminder that it’s that time of year again… :weary:

Karen GIF by MOODMAN

10 Likes
13 Likes
2 Likes

and here’s that infamous review

2 Likes

Scared Still Waiting GIF by Looney Tunes

8 Likes
3 Likes

Ugh, I can relate. I use fae/faer, but I also accept she/her, mostly in non-queer spaces, because if you think people have an issue with they/them, try using neopronouns. :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Repairs will be livestreamed.

10 Likes

ETA: Even more interesting…this reminds me of when Florida used to use dead coral to repair roadways.

7 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes