Follow-up

7 Likes

It wasn’t aliens. Or Atlanteans. Or acoustic levitation.

10 Likes

Plenty of pickled livers can be found on and around the Great Lakes, too, but we have no orcas, just big gar.

8 Likes

bit of a shame, that. the notion of freshwater Free Willy kind of tickles me!

7 Likes

Much of the stone used in building Egyptian monuments came from near Aswan, hundreds of miles south of the Giza plateau (where the Great Pyramids live). The fine white limestone used for casing the pyramids and other structures came from Tura, across the Nile from Abusir, where many other pyramids live.

Blocks would be quarried, hauled to the Nile, and placed on huge barges. These were towed to the building sites.

Most big projects’ construction was timed to coincide with the annual flood, so barges heading N would have the river’s additional push, and delivery times would be decreased. The Nile was ofc also much deeper at those times, making it less likely that such heavy ass shit would run aground.

Many Nile branches have come and gone over the millennia, and the Nile’s course has also drastically changed in places. (The ancient capital Memphis’ original sections have been underwater for ages.) Archaeologists have found other long-gone Nile branches which served pyramids and temples, both in their building, and for visitors’ ceremonial access.

Hatnub, between El Bersha and Asyut, was a well-known source for fine alabaster (calcite), and its name means “Foremost of Gold” in the ancient tongue.

“Theben” should ofc be “Thebes,” or Waset as the ancients called her.

12 Likes

Waset as the ancients called her.

I like the implication that the Greeks and Romans are not ancients. Oh, sure, they lived a couple millennia ago…but they’re still just babies by Egyptian standards. :grin:

12 Likes

One of the earliest Egyptian settlements was located near what became Thebes, so, yeah, really really rilly ancient.

The Greeks ripped off the Egyptians, and the Romans ripped off the Greeks.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose, mes chers!!

9 Likes

Not ripped off though. Learned from. That’s what smart people do, they learn from those who have gone before.

10 Likes
11 Likes

Well, in the Romans’ case, they certainly ripped off the Greeks. They stole their mythology and gave the gods and goddesses new names.

6 Likes

But of course it’s more complex than that. The names are different when they identified their existing deities with the Greek ones, as was common in the ancient world.

6 Likes

True, but they also ripped off all the other gods of peoples they conquered… they loved adopting gods as it helped incorporate new communities. And it explains why they had such problems incorporating Jewish communities, who didn’t want their god appropriated and who did not want to worship other gods…

6 Likes

I was thinking we also have big sturgeon up here, too, and remembered a news story re: a vast fishie who was recently-ish caught in the Detroit River. Went fishing thru my fish tags on tumblr and found her:

240 seems mighty svelte for a lady who’s damn near 7 feet long/tall.

:notes: :notes:“She was a long, tall woman and a big fish,” :musical_note: :notes: as The Hollies did not sing back in 1972.

ETA: Oh, and Grosse Ile, a pretty island in the Detroit River, is locally pronounced growZEEL.

9 Likes

…and they built temples dedicated to Isis all over their empire, too.

I love that there was even one in Old Londinium.

People, and our history, are weird.

7 Likes

I assume this map was originally made in German. cf. also “Kairo”

6 Likes

Ah, yes. I’d forgot that. Vielen Dank!

3 Likes

Everyone knows Cairo is in Illinois.

10 Likes

That’s a huge lake sturgeon. Still cute, though, compared to PNW white sturgeon:

10 Likes

Got at least one sexy house there, too:

wiki say: “There are many Cairos! Hey hey!”

Cairo, Georgia
Cairo, Indiana
Cairo, Kansas
Cairo Township, Minnesota
Cairo, Missouri
Cairo, Nebraska
Cairo, New York
Cairo, Ohio (a village whose county isn’t mentioned)
Cairo, Stark County, Ohio
Cairo, Oklahoma
Cairo, Oregon
Cairo, Crockett County, Tennessee
Cairo, Sumner County, Tennessee
Cairo, West Virginia

Also:
Cairo, a community in the township of Dawn-Euphemia, Ontario, Canada
Cairo Montenotte, a commune in the Liguria region of Italy
Cape Cairo, Nunavut, Canada
El Cairo, Colombia, a town and municipality
Monte Cairo, a mountain in the Lazio region of Italy

And let’s not forget

Joel Cairo!

Gardenia!

7 Likes

Not pronounced the same, tho. Also, there is one in here in GA (pronounced the same as the in Illinois). @MerelyGifted listed it in her list! I wonder which are pronounced CAY-ro and which are pronounced Cai-ro…?

Also, I think Cairo (in Egypt) is a young city, generally speaking… It was founded after the Arab conquests… 10th century, maybe? :thinking:

Oh no, I’m totally wrong…

6 Likes